• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hey,

I'm heading out to the chain this weekend and wondering where a good place to start for some eyes. What bait seams to work this time of the year? Leeches, Worms or Fatheads?, Shinners? I would think that the fish are in transition, so they might be scattered. Any help getting started would help.

Thanks

Never fished it much in the summer, but a good starting place is the island south of Gov't point or Gov't point itself.

Thanks for the tip. I heard this was a big Leech lake, correct? What about Carlos?

We did well, caught our limit by noon (only 18 teams caught limits). Unfortunetly we did not get that one big fish we needed. Presure was tough, but we were able to find a honey hole away from everyone. Should have worked the twin bridges better (larger fish were caught there). Alex will be tougher lots of ground to work, but fish should be biting better. Looking for any tips on where to start since this is a new lake on the tour.

Obviously you have been reading both posts, so see ya on the water.

Another good place is out from the Krugers creek access, primarily in front of "frenchmans cove" there are a lot of bends in the weed line and the water depth changes radically. Leeches are a good choice right now, you might even want to try crawlers. minnows would be my backup though. Good luck out there, and keep a tihgt line! grin.gif

Thanks everyone for the tips. I will post when completed.

Buck 12, see you on the water. This tourney should be good for you (home waters) although your last finish wasn't bad either, top ten huh. Must be nice to have the next two tourneys in your backyard. Good Luck!!

Top Five,

The nice thing is: Short travel and not having to stay in hotels. The hard thing is not fishing memories although they do give a guy areas to start. Yea, LQP worked out pretty good though a sixth fish sure would of been nice. Good luck on Sun.

Quote:

tourneys and teams tourneys and teams

I hear ya. Whatever happened to fishing for fun when you bring out the kids and make it a family event?

Quote:

Quote:

I hear ya. Whatever happened to fishing for fun when you bring out the kids and make it a family event?

If bringing out kids and making it a family event makes fishing fun for you that's great. If someone has fun fishing a tournament that's great too. I happen to do both and enjoy each for different reasons. But don't knock people for doing something that is perfectly legal and is permitted through the local DNR fisheries office.

Buck12,

How has the bite been? I know on Memorial weekend we limited out each day on Osakis, but wondering you thoughts on all the rain in the Alex area lakes.

What is your prediction for the winning weight?

See you this weekend!

Mille Lacs Guy,

Thanks for jumping in. I also have family that loves to fish. What lots of people do not understand is that tourney fish are rarely there to take in the fish. Normally during pre fishing and tourney the fish are all put back into the lake. The tournament directors have taken many classes to help get the fish back into the lake with little or no effects to the fish.

We also spend lots of money in the local economy I know on average we can go through $1000 a tourney in the area with hotels, bait, food, entertainment and gas.

We pay for our enjoyment.

There is nothing more exciting coming in to weigh in with a limit of fish with a chance to get a TOP FIVE win.

Thanks!

I agree, the tournament fisherman are there multiple times and putting lots of money into the local economy. The local fisherman can afford to give up a couple days one one lake cause they can fish it whenever they want, just go during the week. I take my boy prefishing with me so I get the best of both worlds. Some people are too quick to judge tournament anglers, cant we all just get along. grin.gif

Quote:

frown.gif

You sure do a lot of complaining about other people's interests.

You seem to be incredibly selfish.

Quote:

You seem to be incredibly selfish.

Not aiming this at you at all, but there are reasons why people say these things about tourney's.

There are the few selfish people in tourneys that have given a bad name to tourney's for the people that dont fish tourneys. I personally dont fish tourney's, would like too, but my time has a lot to do with it, thats a different topic.

Our family has a cabin on Geneva and have had a couple of people really ruin my respect for most tourney people. One time my kids were swimming and a couple of guys had the nerve to throw spinners about 2 feet from them. I couldnt believe they would think that there was actually fish there. One guy even had the nerve to say I should keep a closer eye on my kids. I said, yeah you never know when (Contact Us Please) are lurking around. He started cussing me out like it was my fault, in front of the kids.

Another time a guy throws and it lands on the pontoon and instead of pulling up to the dock and getting it off he decides to put a 18" rip in the seat. Once he realize's this he gets out of dodge real fast. Is that why most bass boats have big motors on them?

Another time I took the boy out fishing for bass and we were working a shore line, but out a little bit so he didnt catch too many docks and these guys come flying up and cut right in front of us and start casting.

I know it doesnt apply to most of you or any of you on this site(I hope), but it is the few selfish people that ruin it for the whole. Dont get me wrong most of them are pleasant and will talk to you and are personable.

Sorry for going off the topic, but still thought necessary to say and show reasons why some people are not in favor of tourney's. Anyways good luck in the tourney and someday I hope to be out there fishing some of them.

Sorry if my comments offended some of you tournament guys. But my negative response to tournament fishing stems from the exact issues that Fishin Philth brought up. I grew up on Darling and we still have the house. We've also had tournament fishers "invade" our dock to the point that they snagged/popped an inner tube and then just left. They've also snagged our dock/boat when we were actually on the dock. We've also had some tournament fishers throwing big plugs in the area when little kids are swimming around. It's irritating to see the competitive side of tournaments make people do stupid things and negatively impact other people. I know that many of you tournament fisherman, like Corey and Wayne, are very respectful and great guys. I just want to remind everyone to always be respectful and courteous to everyone who's using the lake. The lake is public; other people's docks and boats are not. If someone is on their dock or swimming near it, then please give them some space and just move on.

Personally if I am fishing docks during a tourny I will stay out from the ones with people on them cause the fish are disturbed anyway and having 2 little kids of my own I would never through at any children, that is disgusting. If that ever happens to anyone I would go have a talk with the tourny director at the weight in. There is no place for that in any kind of fishing. you kids know what they say about bad apples.

A lot of boats out there this weekend. How did it turn out, # of fish and, biggest??

Good morning everybody I think that everybody has listed some true scenario's and this stuff does happen. I can understand anybody's frustration with stuff like that but this type of behavior happens all over the lake by all differnt types of people and fisherman.

However the flip side is it's been stero typed to tournament fisherman if you have a bass boat you must be a tournament guy. I just that people genralize on bass fisherman as whole, whether you have a bass boat or not.

Myself I'm a fisherman and love all fish excluding a couple species.

I don't fish docks a whole lot any more but that's how I grew up bass fishing and in the years that I have been doing it I have ran into some very nice home owners and some real jerks... The bottom line is people just have to be more curtious and respectful to home owners who have there docks and boats on the water.

I can remeber being about 12 years old living on Lake Ida and fishing off the dock and seing a fancy bass boat out a couple hundred yards from our dock and I can rember wishing so badly for that guy to pull up to the dock and ask me to go fishing, of course he never did but the little things go along ways.

No mattter what there will always be jerks on both sides of the water unfortunately...

Tournaments are truly a very good thing for youngsters wanting to learn more about fishing...Let me give you few examples I fished a Pro/AM on Green Lake this past weekend my ameture partner had never fished in a bass tournament nor did he have much experience on fishing small mouth bass...I took him fishing with me this past friday for pre-fishing he caught his biggest smallmouth bass of his life that day got to learn there habbitat, what lures to fish with how deep ect...With all this said he also got to bring home some money in his pocket his family had all pitched in to make this happen for him from his parents, & uncle...

This kid was so happy and learned so much! I also brought a 16 year old kid on my 1st day of practie on Green Lake he had a ball he doesn't get the opportunity to do these yet but after I took him out 1 day last year his mind on fishing & not on looking for trouble.

" The Best For Last"

Last year a good friend of mine and I were on Green Lake I had a tournament the following weekend, we were catching smallmouth bass like crazy fairly close to shore and there was a family watching us from there deck and there little guy decided to come down to the dock and give it a try...He grabbed his little snoopy pole and casted out there after about 5 minutes with no fish I decided to trolling motor up there and asked for his pole tied up a lure I knew would be easy for him to fish and good bait, I left him with some extra hooks and plastics and then I went back to fishing near by a couple minutes later his whole family came running down to the dock to help him get a giant smallmouth bass in...

All 3 of these experiences were on Green Lake in the past year and all of these kids have great memories with some knowledge and aspirations that maybe they didn't know they had.