Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Harmonica Bear

Puppy questions

4 posts in this topic

So - long story short, a friend of our group developed a headache this weekend fishing with us up at Mille Lacs, he leaves early, gets home, goes to the hospital and now is in ICU with a brain tumor, inoperable. Very bad…

Anyway, last night my roommates go over to his house to bring his dogs over to our house to take care of for awhile. One of the dogs is pregnant… and Murphy’s Law reared its head… the dog started having pups, (7). So our dilemma among other things is: when can we move the dog and the pups to our house? I certainly didn’t think last night, but when is it safe to do so? I have no clue; I never dealt with new born pups. Any one have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

HB

Its probably safe after a couple days, just make sure that they have a spot in the new place....does he have a whelping box? New pups are brought to the vet at 3-4 days for dew claws also, don't know if thats something you are going to take on or not. You could call his vet and see what they say. Good luck to your friend and you with his new puppies.

Thanks Setterguy.

Oh yeah, the dew claw's. I beleive the pups are Beagle/terriers or something of that nature. I suppose they do the dew claws on all dogs? We have a whelping box. Do the mother and pups need to be completely separate from the other dogs, as in zero interaction. I guess I know the pups can't do anything, but I assume the mother needs to go out, eat, etc.

You can move them as needed. A covered cardboard box with blankets to keep them warm and they will do fine. Keep other dogs away form the pups. They need to build up their immune systems. It is VERY easy for puppies to contract distemper.

Good Luck!

Ken