Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sparks

potato lake?????

6 posts in this topic

I was wondering if anyone knows if the water on potato is low this spring, i am coming up 2nd week on june to stay for a week. Also i have a 4yr old and was wondering if there is a good spot to take him to wet a line, somewhere were the fish are bitting, not really picky what. Any help would be greatly apprecaited. thanks

Actually it's right around normal levels. If any fish will do for you go to the west arm and fish around the bulrushes and lily pads, your bound to find lots of fish for your son, maybe even a nice largemouth or two also wink.gif

thanks, i have got him casting his pole but i need fish to keep his attention and hopefully get him interested in fishing.

I always brought a 5 gal bucket and filled it about half way. I let the kids put some of the fish that they caught in the bucket. When they got bored with fishing they played with the fish in the bucket. I used the livewell for any keepers. A scoop of minnows in a bucket and a minnow scoop will also do wonders to keep there attention. Don't forget the snacks and don't keep em out in the boat for hours and you will have a future fishing partner.

My kids also loved it when we took the boat up the channel to Eagle. They could see all kinds of fish swimming in the shallow water. We've also seen deer. Have fun!

Nels

i have an 18ft lund explorer, i have heard that the channel is somewhat shallow? is it navigable with a bigger boat? i like the bucket trick, i will have to put it on my list of thing to pack.

I don't think a boat that big would do very well going up the river, its difficult enough with a 16 footer because of all the rocks and the very shallow mouth on the potato side. Also last fall that river was clogged up with all kinds of debris.