Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JBZWART

O'Dowd

9 posts in this topic

Fished O'Dowd Monday morning. What a mad house, waterskiers out at 6:15 am. We managed to catch 5 Largemouth, the biggest just under 3 lbs. Saw a number of larger bass in the shallows, could not get them to bite. Caught all bass on Carolina rigged worm or Senko rigged wacky style. Anyone else have luck on O'Dowd this weekend?

JBZ~

Care to explain the Senko rigged Wacky style? I saw on the bass board someone else mention fishing a worm wacky style. Did a google search and found some info on it, but wondering if you had any more insight into it.

Thanks

Ryan M - Hooking a plastic worm Wacky style is very easy. Take the worm and put the hook directly through the middle of the worm, the worm will be perpendicular to the hook.

Fishing this rigging style is also very easy. Just cast it out, let it sink and start twitching it. Looks really wierd, but works.

Thanks...i'll be giving it a try tonight!

Was on O'Dowd Saturday before sunrise and there were already a few boats ahead of me. Caught bass on every presentation I tried. Spooks, mushroom head jigs with finesse style worm (my secret O'Dowd color grin.gif), and finished up using Manns hardnose frogs on the pads. Those hardnose baits are great as they take a lot more abuse before replacement is needed.

I've also had luck with wacky style Senkos except I first push the Senko through a split ring, which is just a little smaller than the diameter of the Senko, so it's a snug fit. Then I just slip the point of the hook under the split ring. I get the same action as putting the hook through the plastic but this way the Senko tends to last longer before rigging up the next one.

I will have to try the split ring trick. Soemtimes those Senkos only last for one fish, that can get expensive.

O-rings work pretty good also.

Try some GULP worms. They are very durable. I fish saturday and never had to replace the worm. Caught a bunch of fish on it.

Wow...that's exactly the opposite of my experience using Gulp. shocked.gif I like using it because it definately catches fish.

But when abusing it, like skipping docks or catching alot of fish, it never holds up for me very well. Seems like I'm always putting on a new one. tongue.gif