Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nofishfisherman

Fish Lake

9 posts in this topic

Any Fish Lake reports from this weekend?

I'll be out there on Saturday and am hoping for some decent reports.

Thanks...

Leeches were the bait this past weekend. Friday they were in 12-14 ft. Last night I caught them from 15-18 ft. Slow is the key. Very good bite

Theres pretty good morning and evening bite. The cold week has put them deeper.

Out in front of the flowage has been getting a lot of attention, but you'll do fine on the wind blown shorelines and islands with the warmer temps on the way. Jigs/spinners with leech will work but theres still a minnow bite as well.

Thanks guys,

I usually bring both minnows and leeches early in the year you never know what they'll want day to day.

I will probably focus my attention on the west side and around some of the islands in the main lake. According to the weather channel it looks like cool rainy weather this weekend as of right now so i will start looking for them a little deeper.

Good info

The lake was on fire sun pm. Mon am thru pm was more of a semi dead sea. Front moved in and the preasure dropped. frown.gif.

Did just fine Fri. Sat. and Sunday nights not as well in the mornings. They did go a bit deeper. Lots of northern and bass for the fun of it during the day.

Our weather can change from the fourty days and nights of rain and wind, wind, wind, and wind. mad.gif

Is there a fishable population of bass in Fish Lake? I have always heard rumors of some big bass in there but so few of them that they are really hard to target, they are just accidental catches. I might have to give them a shot of these days.

Just cast the shor lines with a spinner bait and they seem to show up. usually can get one 18-20 inches with out much trouble. A million northern in the process smirk.gif

When I first moved to Duluth 15 years ago or so, there were no bass in Fish lake - if there were, it would only have been a handful. Over the past 5 years there has been a growing population and I seem to catch more 'accidental' bass each year. They have all been small for me though. The largemouths I have caught in Fish lake have been very homogeneous in color and not detailed and colorful as your typical largemouth.

I would expect largemouth bass to do very well in Fish lake and their population to continue to grow. This is kind of like Island lake. When I first moved to duluth, bass were unheard of in Island, now the small mouth population there has exploded and there are big smallies to be caught.

Is this a bad thing? I don't know. Though I'm sure the local bass fisherman don't mind! grin.gif