Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JEH_FISH

Musky Trolling Help

5 posts in this topic

Hey guys I need a little help here. When it comes to musky fishing I've almost always casted for them. I love to see follows and do figure 8's. So I havn't trolled much.

While growing up my dad would always take me out casting and that's how I got started. Now I'm older and so is he, a lot older. Now I take HIM fishing, kinda returning the favor in a father/son sort of way.

My problem now, however is that he isn't in as good of shape any more with arthritis in his joints and shoulders especially. He can't cast musky baits anymore.

I don't want him to stop going out all together, at least not yet. I know some of you guys do very well trolling the north side, basically all year? He lives on that side of the lake, so that's where I'll end up doin' most of my trolling. Does anyone actually troll weedbeds? That sounds like a PITA to me.

So any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Josh

Larry Bergman is a guide out of Castaways that I've gone out fishing with on a father/son trip that my buddy and I did for our Dads. He takes out a big pontoon, no matter what the weather, trolling for muskies along the north end. He'll troll spoons, Believers and large Rapalas all along that nice sand break running from six feet on the shallow end to 15 feet on the deep end. Those lures dig in when it's shallow but it doesn't seem to matter. We've had a bunch of success with him. We've only boated one muskie in two trips, but the pike we caught were phenomenal. A few 40 inchers, a ton of 36 plus pike as well. A great time. For some reason when I fish Mille Lacs I've never repeated that technique myself, usually because I like casting (like you said). I hope to get back there this summer/fall to troll that area with my Dad who really doesn't like chunking muskie lures all day.

Larry's a great guy and does his trips for a very reasonable cost. I don't know if he's still in the business but if you wanted a pro consider him. Just a word of caution, we always fished there in late summer/fall so I don't know if the action is as hot this time of year.

josh,

trolling weed beds is very efective on mille lacs. there are alot of good ones up on the north end that you can take your dad to. troll smaller lipped crankbaits or bucktails over the top of the weeds. when your bait hits the weeds, give your rod a good rip, alot of times, that is when the fish hit. if there are some people fishing the middle of the weed bed try trolling the outer edge and vice versa. the key is to get out there and cover water. the more trolling you do, the better you will get at it.............tom fellegy

Thanks for the replys guys. I think I'll just get out there a few times and see what works. I've got big cranks n' stuff to let dig in up there. You guys ever use boards up there to get lures away from the boat?

Tom, yeah the thing I was worried about trollin weeds is the weed problem. It would seem kinda pointless if all your doing all day is removing them by hand all day. I'll try the ripping technique. Or, maybe a bionic bucktail style bait that is more weedless.

Thanks again

Josh

I haven't done much trolling on Mille Lacs. But I'd advise anyone that tries trolling out there to keep the best interest of the lake in mind. Choose gear that's going to ride over the weeds. There have been some weedbeds on Leech that have pretty much disappeared in large part due to people trolling (casting also plays a smaller role) deeper diving baits that will rip the weeds out by the roots. I'd hate to see weedbeds start to disappear on Mille Lacs.

Spinnerbaits can be great trolling baits.

Aaron