• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Seems these days everyones in it for the cash and the glory, I hope I never see the day when I sell out my (Hobby) for a pro-fishing wanna be career @#!$ With all the tourneys, leagues, electronics, and scientific data out their these days why bother really? All it is is who can run the computer game better than the other(Gps Nav)(laptops w/gps ant and chip, and nav software, + the coputer game can steer the boat, + it can keep you exactly at a certain depth, if the computer equipments doing the fishing, who should get the credit, and the glory, I just think its all a joke and Im tired of seeing my favorite spots blown up in the middle of magazines and glorified just because some ones haveing a tourney out there 3 mos later or some dum thing, now with the internet you have reports(mostly bait stores trying to attract enough attention to sell a litte handful of minnows for top dollar no dought. Cant things just go back?, whens it gonna end?, its just like racing, its not much fun to watch, the technologys so perfected that these people hardly ever crash or have anything wrong with their cars, Boring!!, I think I'd feel like a sellout if I went pro. Show-offs, Wanna-bes, and just a bunch of guys out to get trashed and have a pissing match , a fire, and a shore lunch. I see the fun in that ido , but . . . I can do that by myself on a lake in the dark peacfully, without anyone knowing where im fishing. I guess I just want to see how the average Joe-Blow feels about the fishing and hunting the past 5 yrs, and if other share any of my thoughts on this. Personaly i dont try to post my spots just general info, I dont see the point in people bragging up a spot that your old man had 2 him self yesterday morning just to have 20 boats their the next night from a stupid brag report. I love to help people and give advice, but some stuff is just classified ya know. I liked Racing when it was a stock car / dirt track sport, and liked fishing when it wa a Pure Sport!! Linder fished his whole life just to finally retire a few yrs back and now I bet he gets to go fish again(By-himself , and for him self) I've thought about it many time but I Cant sell out, And I wont!! Just food for thought not trying to poke at any body a respect tourney iformation for the invaluable data collected, and knowlege gathered by the pros, but they,re the pros the real pros, and they have earned their respect, these little hot shot kids now, thats a different story for another time!! GOtta Go suns cuming up and I hear fish callin my name!!

eyehunter10: to bad you feel that way. A lot of those hot shot kids are the future of our sport. The technology has increased the reach of our sport and given us all better and safer equipment. Better boats, more reliable motors, gps units to help the directionally challenged. I see it as a pluse. And I'm always happy to see young people develope a passion for any sport, all the better if it is fishing.

Being I’m a younger angler, I have grown up with all the new technology and the internet. I love the new technology that has come out in the last few years with the GPS/Sonar and the New Side Imaging. Thing like that have help me become a better angler and really love the sport of fishing. They help me learn what is really under the water. With out the internet I wouldn’t be able to ask question on Fishing Minnesota and have fellow anglers help me with my problems and give advice. I have a lot of respect for me elders in the fishing world. They have and continue to keep teaching me what they have learned over the years of being on the water. There are lot of good pro out there that are more then willing to teach young anglers like myself and them are the ones that I respect the most. cool.gif

In 1981 my dad purchased a 17 foot Alumacraft Backtroller with a flasher depth finder. After two fishing trips he said "I do not know how I ever fished without this thing." I was 14 years old.

There have been some changes since then. I agree.

Its just like anything, the sport is changing and adapting and those who choose to adapt with it are catching more fish than ever. All in the eye of the beholder. Some don't like change and get stuck in their ways, everyone probably works with someone who refuses to use Email just because they don't want to.

I feel that any hobby is all about the experience. I like technology. I am a ham radio operator and have had a computer since Radio Shack introduced the trash 80 sometime last millenium. I like to introduce all the technology I can to my fishing hobby. I am going to start making my own maps from data saved from my sonar/GPS unit. I even have an old Panasonic Tough Book laptop so I can crunch data in the boat. Will it help me catch more fish? Probably not. Will it allow me to enjoy my hobby more? Definately, and it will allow me to enjoy my hobby this winter after the lakes are frozen. I spend more time playing than I do fishing. Hobbies are different things to different people. Remember, it isn't only about the number of fish that we catch. If we are having fun while respecting the enviroment and our fellow fisher people, how can it be bad? Enjoy the moment. In a second it will be gone!!!!

lol i too had a trs-80 I fix computers . Well thanxs for clearing a few things up, I gues i need to have a more open view on a few things, do you ever see things that just make your blood boil, maybe i fish too much these days and just see to0 many careless activities at the lakes these days. Did you guys here that they predict we wont have any walleyes left in 20 yrs cuz of global warming all the tulibees and ciscoes will dir then the walleyes will foolow ??? I sure hope the scientist are wrong or we in trouble guys confused.gif

Another view is too look at some of them and see that they spend more time trying to mess with their high-tech stuff, then they have a line in the water. haha

lol i ripped everything out of my boat 3 lcd graphs out, steering counsle out big 1972 40 hrs evinrude out, put a 25 tiller on, and 1 vexilar, and my aqua-view thats it, besides the handheld running lakemaster for the 1 ft contours i love the vexilar, and will never use a lcd again, I stare at the vex year round, and can tell exactly what i see no on it, if i dont believe the vex which is rare, I drop down the camera. What else do ya really need, a rod might be kool grin.gif

thanks agape, i just get frustrated as I'm sure you have before or anyone else, I moved up here for better fishing and hunting lol, im moving back home to kandiohyi county cuz i realized the grass aint always greener on the other side of the fence with fishing.

well i think just the ability to keep your boat on structure at a certain depth is all it takes, and 1 foot contours a laptop and lakemaster can do that, even a 98 laptop i think. Follow the lay of the land, its no different fish follow the structure, and bottom of the lakes lay of the land, much like a topo map for deer, deer take the path of least resistance, fish are'nt much different they like gravel and sand paths through the weeds on points from shallow to deep for example or if theyre at 15 feet just put a sinker hook and bait in a rod holder turn the drag back, and keep the boat at 15 feet or 18 or 22 or whatever around the structure you want to fish, just remember your lure doent always end up where the boat was a minute a go grin.gif

It's hard to beat some of those lakes in Kandiyohi Co. You have both praire pot-hole lakes and glacier lakes to chose from. The muti-species fishing is as good there as anywhere in our state.