Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
catking

Bass fishing Lake Calhoun

4 posts in this topic

How is the Bass fishing on Lake Calhoun? I understand its electric motors only.What baits/techniques do you use for bass? Any tips would be appreciated...thanks.

I enjoy Calhoun for bass, and the average fish size is very good. Thing about Calhoun(at least from shore) is the fishing depends on the milfoil cutting. They will chop it up, and fishing will suck for a few days until it starts to get back to the surface, then fishing the weeds is good until they cut it again.

If you have a boat(electric only) I would imagine fishing deeper structure(which there is a lot of, you can get a map on the dnr website) would be good during these lull periods. But when the weeds are there that's where the fish are.

I was there last night and they had just cut, fished for about an hour and managed one 17" fatty on a white spinnerbait. I like spinnerbaits, topwater at dusk fished slowly, or soft plastics(senko's, jerbaits, etc). I am no help on the deeper structure in this lake. As far as colors I do well with naturally colored baits(white, baby bass, green, etc), and smaller baits seem to outproduce the larger ones. As far as times, I like fishing low-light periods.

My personal best out of calhoun is a 21.5" on a small buzzbait, but I've caught a lot of nice fish. Please practice catch and release, and there was an article in the paper earlier this spring about 3M chemicals that have made their way into the lake, so this further supports C&R.

You will also likely catch some bonus pike or even muskie. Harriet and the other chain of lakes are also worth a shot

Good luck.

Thanks for the good info! How often do they cut the milfoil and how long does it take to grow back?

I haven't really tried to figure out a schedule, but it seems they do it every couple weeks. After a few days the foil will start to spring back to the surface, and eventually it will be thick again. They especially do it during busy times(memorial day for example). It is pretty obvious when you get there and there are no visible weeds that it has been cut recently.