• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Smallies in July

A group of us are heading up to Oak Island again for our annual trip over the week of the 4th of July. We always fish for walleyes and muskies and do well, but we have a buddy that always wants to fish smallies. We have always been able to curb his whining, because who doesn't want to fish for muskies and walleyes all day for a week? However, this year I have been feeling a bit guilty and would like to surprise him with some smallie action...However, I am bass illiterate. I was wondering what kind of structure, depths, lures, etc...to use. We have always caught them northern fishing in early June on our spoons and bucktails, but I am sure they have moved out of the weedy bays by then. Can anyone help with our situation?

Muskies, and smallies often share the same turf this time of year. (Rock related structure. Reefs, points, Boulders etc...) Assuming you are fishing this kind of structure while fishing Muskies, have your buddy put on a X-rap, or Shad rap, small bass size spinner bait etc...

(You may consider putting some sort of fluorocarbon leader on for this, as Muskies are likely to bite on this sort of rig also)... Odds are he will be the busiest guy in the boat...

Thanks for the help! I may or may not share it with him, as you know as soon as he throws out that x-rap the big muskie of the rock-pile will hit it. I don't know if the boat could carry his big head if he ended up catching a muskie on his bass tackle.

All joking aside, will minnow baits be the best bet, or will tube jigs/grubs be worth a try as well?

Thanks again for the reply.

I usually use minnow baits myself. I'm sure plastic would work equally as well. Only the fish will tell you for sure.

Have fun.

Oak Island... Smallies... July... Sounds like an awesome time. This will be the first year in a few that I won't be going up to the angle to stay on Oak Island and I will dearly miss it. I completely agree. Many of us in our boats alternated between muskies and smallmouths wherever we fished. Troll rock-studded shorelines and cast toward shore. Hit the points hard. If you are looking for a mixed bag you could even tie on a medium sized spinnerbait and easily land a muskie or a smallmouth (even a walleye but most likely a northern). If you can find them, buy a mess of fat raps -usually they are on clearance if they are still around because i think they have been discontinued. If you can't find these get some sort of fat, diving, minnowbait - a DT 10 would work well too. Do you fish the Canada side or do you stay in MN? Good luck!!

Thanks for the tips. We fish on both sides, but for the muskie and now bass we fish mainly in Canada. We also missed going up last year and I know how you're feeling. It's an addicting place. I do have a bunch of fat raps that I got when I was younger that I have never used, so now this may be the time. My buddy will thank you guys as well, he just doesn't know it yet!

We did most of ours in Canada as well. Not sure where you usually go on the Canada side but the shoreline of Deepwater bay is a gold mine for smallmouth. Also, if you are willing to make the the long trip, the Skeet Island area is outstanding for smallmouth fishing and even better walleye fishing (Plenty of muskies for you too so your buddy won't have all the fun). I am getting sick about not being able to go up this year... Good luck and have fun!!

I've never tried Skeet...Looks great though, I'm sure we'll try a trip there. We usually fish around the points and deeper bays on the north side of Falcon, and also Coste and Lily Islands. We've done fairly well there for muskies and have even picked up quite a few walleyes in some of the deeper channels.

I do fish Deepwater a lot, but never for smallies. We used to go up in early June and the shorelines there were also very good for walleye and it's close to several very good islands for walleyes.

Just looking at the map now, Skeet looks great with all the deep water around the rocky points and lots of rocky points. Have you heard how the water depths are this year? I think that some of the spots that we used to muskie fish may be a bit too shallow this year, so the new spot could save us...I can't wait! Thanks again.