Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pikeslayer

Little Winnie?

10 posts in this topic

I just leased a lot near there and have never fished Little Winnie or big winnie,but I am looking forword to fishing both lakes in the very near future.How much and how fast does little winnie rise and fall when they open or close the dam?Also I am wondering how a boat that I just bought will handle big winnie,its a older fiberglass bassboat with a 85 horse,the boat seems very stable but I have not had it on a big lake yet?

I would keep to the littler lakes with a bass boat. Winnie can fool people it can be glass calm one minute and in a matter of minutes if the wind comes up you would be in trouble. She can get pretty rough out there

I have a 17 ft deep v with a walk thru windshield and been scared a couple time trying to get off the lake when the wind come up. tongue.gif

Little winnie is a heck of lake. It seems size is better on little winnie, probably because it doesn't get netted. Not near as good for numbers, though. There's also some huge pike and some monster crappies in there. Right now for eye's try right where the river comes in. Also right in the river can be good this time of year, just find a hole and jig it

Oh, and I forgot to mention, when the water's high forget little winnie, just fish the pool by the dam. It can be fantastic when the water's really flowing

Thanks for the feed back guys,maybe I better put the restoration of my big aluminum starcraft on hold till winter if big winnie gets as ugly as some peaple say it does when the wind comes up!Wheres the pool on the river,do you get there by boat?I was fishing with my wife for 30 min. by the dam the other day,she got 2 pike and I got 1 nice bass,I couldnt beleave how clear the water!Its going to be 2 weeks till my lease is ready,I feel like a kid waiting for x-mas! tongue.gif

It all depends on the day. I have been out there in my father's 21' Sylvan when the waves were comming over the bow, and i have also taken a 16.5' Lund with a 30hp tiller from nodak all the way around the west side to the north side. there was a west wind that day and the waves weren't too bad. it is all how comfortable you are with the waves and your boat and knowing your limits.

PS. the day the 16.5' was taken to the north end, we ran out of gas at little stony, luckily i was following my dad back and got a short tow into nodak. Now we have a second tank for the days i get the itch to do something like that.

We fish big winnie our of a 16' alumacraft w/ a 30 hp tiller, usually don't have a problem. As far as where the pool is, there's several in the river. Find anything deeper than about 10 fow and throw down a jig. There's a few that are better than others, but you can find those by yourself, that's why they call if fishing not catching, right? wink.gif Don't be afraid to go past little winnie in the river, too. And you say you caught a bass? I've never heard of a bass coming outta the dam. I know there's very few in little winnie, maybe they're starting to build up in there?

I caught a three pound largemouth out of the river one week ago.

they are deffintly in there.

What do you mean go past little winnie on the river,do you mean go down the river where it gos out of little winnie?And yes I did get a bass by the boat landing at the dam.It was a good 14inchs or better!I let it go right away and didnt get a chance to look at it real good,all I know is it was fun to catch,had red eyes,and was beat up from spawning! wink.gifwink.gif

Oh-Yea I forgot,Slayed my first pike on little winnie today,cold clear water,fillet right away,keep on ice 2 hours,beer batter,deep fry,Morgan and pepsi on the side! PRICELESS!! cool.gifcool.gif