Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cabela10

Inflatable PFD - replacing bobbin

16 posts in this topic

I accidentally armed my inflatable PFD while it was sitting in my storage compartment in the boat. I bought a new Rearming kit and I'm having issues removing the old yellow bobbin. Am I suppose to forcefully pull this bobbin out? I don't want to break anything and throw $140 in the garbage.

Alright, I just ripped the bobbin out and everything is okay now but I would not recommend these automatic inflatable PFD's to anyone. They are comfortable to wear and all that, but cost money ($16) to rearm to use again. Also a big pain in the rear to repack.

Well what did you expect? So what if it costs a few bucks to rearm? Probably a lot less bucks than your funeral ! If you don't like a PFD then don't wear it. Go back to wearing (or not) a regular life jacket, those are real comfortable in the middle of summer

I went through the same thing I have 3 Stearns brand jackets all with different arming systems DOAH!

Those darn bobbins... grin.gif

I'm very happy now that I'm an expert in Arming them... grin.gif

Quote:

Well what did you expect? So what if it costs a few bucks to rearm? Probably a lot less bucks than your funeral ! If you don't like a PFD then don't wear it. Go back to wearing (or not) a regular life jacket, those are real comfortable in the middle of summer

Interesting reply. Thank You.

do these pfd s use co2? not familiar with them. but

plan on getting a boat or pontoon this summer.

thanks

randy aka bbqhead

Yes, they use a CO2 cartridge and when submersed under water, they deploy.

Quote:

Yes, they use a CO2 cartridge and when submersed under water, they deploy.

They can be self inflated if the CO2 fails also.

Yup, they surely can. This is my first time trying to repack it and it's tough so far.

I just bought a couple of them today thinking I would be more likely to wear one like these but? maybe not! Should I return them and get the old stand-by? HTB

There is NO reason not to buy these just because you must repack them from time to time. It takes maybe ten minutes. It CAN be a little like putting toothpaste back in the tube but it gets easier. And YES, the replacement kits cost a few bucks, but personally speaking, MY life is worth a few bucks. Don't know about yours. grin.gif

They are very comfortable and sometimes you forget it's even on. For my first pack job, it looks sick but I'm sure it will get better over time. I would recommend these inflatable PFD's, just know going into it, that you will need to purchase rearming kits that costs between $10-16. The toughest part was packing the part that goes behind the neck.

Quote:

There is NO reason not to buy these just because you must repack them from time to time. It takes maybe ten minutes. It CAN be a little like putting toothpaste back in the tube but it gets easier. And YES, the replacement kits cost a few bucks, but personally speaking, MY life is worth a few bucks. Don't know about yours.
grin.gif

You can get the regular PFD's to save your life and they don't cost money over time. I think that's what the guy was talking about. Not about not having one altogether.

Do these go off in a hard rain?

No they have to be submersed for a while if you go in the water its best to pull the rip cord versus waiting for the pill to disolve.

Quote:

Do these go off in a hard rain?

No.

Actually, I was in a tournament on the 'Sippi Pool 4 with about 40-50mph winds. The waves were huge and I had tubs full of water coming over the top of me and the PFD did not go off. I think the reason it went off was because I left it in a damp storage place on the boat and it popped because that compartment was so wet inside from the moisture.