• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Move the opener

Wish-I-Were-Fishn

So here's the deal: with all the talk about global warming, it occurs to me that we should move the MN fishing opener forward by two weeks. If we really are experiencing global warming the fish should also be spawning sooner right? The season is way to short and it is hot summer weather before you know it. Moving the opener would also remove the Mother's Day conflict. BTW, why is the WI opener earlier then MN? I say we call whoever it is that can make this happen and at least pitch the idea.

I say leave it where it is, tradition. I know in January when to plan a Vac. ect. Should we move the deer opener, duck, pheasant because of this also?

Moving the opener two weeks forward, very good chance you would be ice fishing here in Northern MN Mothers day, that is on a Sunday, opener is on Saturday. Lets move Mothers Day!

So than Global warming doesn't exist? My point is that if it does, like so many say it does, than moving the opener to coincide with it might make sense. The opener date is supposed to be after the fish spawn, which is tied to water temps, not calendars.

If the warming is really happening, then let's take advantage of it were we can instead if always fretting the negative effects. It would also give the resorts more days of income, the State more revenue (taxes) and give us more time to fish.

Global warming exists on all planets in the solar system. Because the sun is burning more intensely than in the previous ?? years. That's another argument alltogether, beleive who you wish.

As for moving opener to may 1, Naw, If you need to catch some walleyes sooner than opener, It's easy to head to the Mississippi, or S.D. or N.D.

I like the opener when it is, it gives me the opportunity to chase other species in spring as well as travel a bit. My opinion of course. Brent

In all reality, the opener isn't tied to a date after the fish spawn, it's tied to cash.

If someone is concerned with "tradition", set your own date that works for you and go that same day every year and make your own "tradition". Jan 23, June 13th, Sept 2nd...whatever....I don't care. Make your own "opener". If someone beat you on the back of the head every May 5th since you were six years old, would you call it a tradition? Even though it isn't right and it doesn't feel real good, darn it anyway it's a tradition and we'll keep doing it. smirk.gif

Even a broken clock is right two times a day but that doesn't make it right.

People in the southern half of MN have to remove their ice shacks off the lakes earlier than the north half, so maybe we should have the opener sooner and those in the north half can wait for the lakes to thaw if they happen to still be frozen. wink.gif

The only thing that gets me on this subject is that the experts say walley can't survive in warmer water. My brother has been fishing walleye for better than 30 years now and just spent a week and a half Bull Schules Lake. That lake is on the Missouri Arkansas border. Last i knew it gets pretty darn warm down there but yet the walleye in that lake run a 5.5 to 6.o pound average. And the experts say a walleye can't survive in that kind of warm water. The thing i'm saying is that you don't really need too listen to all the so called experts. If we did that we would all be extinct. If i'm not right let me know. And yes the walleye opener is one H??? of a money maker for MN. But if not without it we could all pay upwards of 50 dollars for a resident liscence. ITS CALLED INFLATION. GET USED TO IT OR IT COULD LEAD US TOO ANOTHER DEPRESSION. LIKE SOMEONE SAID, JUST MY 2 CENTS.

And if we had not listened to the experts the Bald Eagle would be extinct. If we had listened to the experts fewer lakes in Minnesota would have consumption warnings. Because we do not like what science tells us we still should not ignore it. Better to react before it is too late to do something about it.

Limit, in your long winded speil about against tradition, you never gave an answer to the question. smile.gif

OK...No, hunting seasons shouldn't be changed. Why? Because they're more seasonal than fishing which CAN BE year round without any issues. Apples and oranges.

W-I-W-F,

I can see your point about the global warming/upping the opener date but I think part of being a fisherperson is keepin with tradition. You know, like meeting up with the same buddies year after year at the cabin on the same May weekend? The decision isn't up to us though-legislation would have to be changed and that's all linked to money and not family traditions anyway! Just a thought...

Lisa

I see his point as well. My idea is have the DNR do a study on it, let em use past data, and for the next five years, or what have you, and they can tell us what's what. I do agree though, I think that sooner or later, fish'll start spawning earlier.

The opener has nothing to do with spawning. It was a date that was basically arbitrarily chosen a long time ago, and has stayed the same since then. It doesn't need to change because of anything "scientific", or for any other reason. If you feel that you'd like to catch walleyes before the MN opener, there's WI, which is a week earlier, and also ND & SD, both of which, I believe (but could be wrong on one or the other), have a continuous season.

As far as the global warming thing goes.. it is a fact. It's been going on for a long, long time. If it hadn't started, we'd still be under a glacier. As to whether or not humans have had much impact, I don't know. I doubt a lot of the so-called "science" behind the theory. THe planet will right itself when it needs to. It's been happening since the universe bagan, and to think that we have any true impact as to how things will happen only shows that man is generally narcissistic. We are merely an inconvenient tenant, not the masters of the planet.

I'll do you one better, WIWF--why is there even a fishing opener in the first place? On many lakes the walleye are stocked, which means they either don't reproduce or reproduction is low. Since this makes walleyes a put-and-take species, why do they need to be protected during the spawn? Then there's bass opener two weeks later while the smallmouth and many largemouth are still spawning. Hmm, let's review.....The DNR closes the season on walleyes and bass to allow them to spawn, but walleyes don't spawn in many Minnesota lakes and bass aren't done spawning when the opener rolls around. Add to that the increased pressure on panfish in the spring since there isn't much left over to fish. A few years ago I heard as one of the questions asked when you buy your fishing license, "Would you be in favor of a closed season on crappies to let them spawn?" Are you serious?? Does anyone else see an inconsistency here? As far as tradition goes, I'm with guy who says make your own tradition. Would you rather have the freedom to go out ANY time or have to wait for a weekend when every male in the state will be your competition? And the global warming thing--'tis true, temps are going up on Mars, too. Do they have SUVs and fossil fuel burning plants?