• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Round Lake info by Squag

I understand everyone's thoughts on this, but I think we are being too sensitive. If people wish to share, they should share and not have to suffer so much criticism. If we don't like all these lake names being posted, why do we all(well maybe not all, but many) subscribe to outdoor news publications that list LAKE NAMES in the fishing report each and every week. All of these lakes aren't BIG, HUGE lakes that can withstand the pressure. Once again we punish the good guy(in this case crappiekeith) because he is sharing good information and just happy to give folks something to read and learn from.

Like I said, I understand the concern we all have about lakes getting hammered and overfished, but stop blaming the good guys who follow the rules and share info. We need to do a better job of promoting good fishing practices(by good I mean ones that benefit the lakes populations and health) while understanding that the law says you can keep x amount of fish etc. It is nice to see this is such a sensitive topic, because that means people care and the only way to keep lakes in good shape for years to come is people have to care. Good luck to all this weekend. I just hope I can get out. Its been a few weeks!! grin.gif

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• palisade1kid

• iland99

• Dale

• Matt Breuer

Thanks Coach1310,

I meet all sorts of guys Matt that want to get into fish ,birds or deer.

I'm not charging a dime,just building friendships.

Sure I'll get a free meal or a tip maybe ,but it's all gratuitous.

I'm gonna save my breath here and just copy a post I made earlier today in the walleye pic area....

I did say something to him ,but thanks for your concern.

I suppose all of your walleyes are huge.

I bet they taste great!

If the thread read monsters only then I would not have posted a thing.I'm so glad you have an opinion.

You know this is getting old. Hold it this way,release it that way. Where's your fish ?

Guys like you are gonna kill FM.Who wants to post anymore!

I thought to share some info along the way.Now your gonna ruin it for everyone else,because guys like me will stop posting anything worthwhile.

There's a bunch of very good anglers here at FM & when I make simple posts it's not for those men.

Those posts are for the beginners & to show pics with the how too's helps them gain some confidence that they maybe could get in on some of their own.

If you do not like my posts of pics ,videos and the like do not view them.

Your comments are not appreciated when being demeaning and they are only detrimental to this thread and site.

Do I have to play tattletale & go to the mods to inform them you are being rude.Romperoom tactics,please!

Just goes to show what happens when you assume.

I'll add I'd hate to see the lake get over fished.

I'll also say it's not as easy as it looks.

Once a guy struggles he usually quits coming back.

I saw that on BSL over the last few years.

For the most part Round has been tough this year.

I think most lakes have been tougher than normal years with these cold fronts blowing through since ice out.

Everyones lake with eyes in it should be turning on about now assuming their mayflies are done.

Let's get back to talking about fishing & teaching others to fish.

Sure we can add in ethics ,but you shouldn't be rammy about it.

Crappiekeith I look forward to reading your posts so please don't stop posting.

And to the others who are doing all the crying what are you doing in the McGregor-Aitkin Regional forums if you don't want to talk about the area lakes?

My $0.02

sfd

so hows the fishing been the last few days??? I am going to be out and about west of the aitkin area this weekend and just wondering as to what the fish are relating to...any help??? Crappies or walleyes......I know the sunnies will more than likely still be shallow are the crappies still on the first break lines or are they starting to move and suspend over deeper water? Thanks for the help and someday CK I would love to fish or even walk the woods with ya......I grouse hunt in the palisade area at a buddies deer shack.....Take Care and have fun...Thanks

Hey Ozzie,

As of last weekend the gills are about ready to burst.

The crappie came from the cabbage in about 6 FOW just off of the deep water.1st cut like you said.

I will say the eyes are in 8-14 FOW depending on the time of day and water clarity.

As to grousing is it Sept. yet? I know I was seeing or hearing several birds a day.

I had a bad year with around 20-25 birds being taken.

I have noticed them coming back .I'm hoping this year will be better.

I know I left several birds in each plot that'll hunt.

I think my 1st year up here in Paly town I bagged around 70.

I've also noticed more hunters up here hitting these county lands which cuts into my successes.

There a few areas that have sharpies too ,but I need to try to get some permissions.

You said you agreed in reply to my post, and now you revert to war?

I wasn't being rude, but if you are taking it that way, that's fine, and if you feel you need to tattle on me, go for it!

I'm not sure if I understand anything in your previous post, but it looks to me like you're angry. I was simply stating that you need to be careful not to step on toes. Some information is great, while too much can be bad! You contribute a lot to this forum, so I'm not saying you should stop posting, I was simply trying to give some constructive criticism to help you create more pleasant waves for everyone. I know you can't make everyone happy, but taking the middle ground often times gets you close.

Lastly, don't get me started on grouse bud, I'm already salivating for some of that tasty white meat! My German Shorthairs are ready too... It's going to be a long Summer!

Matt,I was not reffering to you in my entire post your talking about.I kinda grouped you all together.

I understand what you are saying.

I also don not know what middle ground is.I think I understand you .

It's evident HP fishes Round on the weekend & it's too bad others can not give him room.

I see the crowding by a lot of folks on the weekend,it's appearent these folks do not now where the fish are so they fish by someone thinking they know something.

There's nothing a guy can do but move & find them somewhere else.

Matt,Were all good.

I'll heed your advice.

I've really never been a middle of the road kinda guy.

I'm either hot or cold.

The only way I know to make posts is like you might see on a show.

Here's the lake,this is what I used & how I got them.

CK-

Where do you hunt? My family sold my honey hole land in Wyoming,MN. You say you take people hunting. For deer? Any openings? I fish Rat lake and have seen your posts.

I'll set you up for deer. Got a porty?

I'd like to spend some time with shotguns to see how you handle a gun.

I'm not a big fan of getting shot.

My brother was dun in by a rookie unloading his gun.

It's been years ago ,but I still put saftey above everything.

I can't even dissasemble a gun and point the barrel in someones direction.Gives me the willies.

I shot 3 deer last year and my son shot 2.I put him right in front of this very nice 8 point buck ,but his action was open on the .308 & when he snapped it shut,SEEYA!

He was so bummed.He had the deer 40 yards away on the trail with his crosshairs on his shoulder.He learned a valueable lesson that day.

With semi autos let the action slam shut.

Especially in cold weather.

Actually I don't fish Round on the weekends anymore, I haven't for a few years now. I know all about getting crowded out of your spot and moving, but it's a pain when you're fishing out of a canoe and moving means paddling even further from where you launched in the first place. I avoid Round on all weekends, and don't like fishing the other area lakes on the weekends unless it's nasty weather. I've gotten very spoiled living in the Bemidji area. It's not uncommon at all to be catching fish left and right and be the only boat on the lake, especially in the middle of the week. I've been out in the Aitkin area about 10 times since the ice left, and only 3 of those times have been on lakes (two days were rainy). The rest have been on the various rivers in the area. Way less people, better fishing, better wildlife, scenery, what's not to love??

Oh, and most fishing shows I watch tell you what depth they're fishing, what presentation, what time of year, water temp, etc., but they NEVER drop lake names, especially small lakes! They tell you literally everything EXCEPT what lake they are on. I believe this makes you a better angler, because it forces you to find similar situations on your local lakes and perhaps tweak their info just a bit. About the only show I find worth watching these days is Lindner's Angling Edge.

Well then HP ,lets have FM just drop this whole board since just about every lake on it is small.

Get over it will ya.I'm done with this bickering.

SFD said a good one....

Crappiekeith I look forward to reading your posts so please don't stop posting.

And to the others who are doing all the crying what are you doing in the McGregor-Aitkin Regional forums if you don't want to talk about the area lakes?

My $0.02

sfd

I thought we were done with this bickering too, until you brought it all up again last night. I thought we had buried the hatchet yesterday morning, but apparently I was wrong.

I don't want you to stop posting. Most of your posts are good, for instance, your confidence in swimbaits. I have a ton of them, but rarely use them since I don't have any confidence in them. Now that I've seen the success you've had using them, I'll probably give them a little more time in the water.

You don't need to stop posting at all. FM doesn't need to drop this board. Like I said many times before, give all the details you want, please do, just leave the lake name off if it's a small lake. It's not that hard to do. Plus, as I said, it will make people better fishermen in the long run. Instead of following your tail to all these small lakes, maybe they'll read a post of yours where you detail catching fish in XXX depth in XXX conditions, and a lightbulb will go on and they'll realize that there are very similar conditions on a lake they know about, and they'll go to that lake and catch a few extra fish! I'm happy, you're happy, and they're happy - a win, win, win!

I've said my piece, and I'm done.

it is freedom of speech....if he wants to name drop let him....who are you to judge????? we all have opinions and if CK thought it would turn his honey holes in to dead seas then I am sure he wouldn't say a thing......Thanks for all the concerns but I wish everyone would just not say a thing if it isn't something nice!!! This site is becoming pretty political on backyard science...i.e hold the fish this way, don't keep this, don't mention that.....just keep the coments to yourself and fish!!!!! If you don't like the info don't read!!! 10,000+ lakes not all of them are going to be fished out!!! I am done on this subject...let's talk tactics on how to catch fish...Thanks smirk.gif

Alright men,we have all made our points.

We all understand where everyone is coming from so yup let's move on.

I've got Steve coming up from Milaca this weekend.

We are going to try to put some eyes in the livewell tonight.My buddy Rick will be joining us ,so I'm sure the friendly banter of who's king will be flyin!

I debating going for eyes on squag tommorow for the day bite or hitting wilkens for some slabs.They did bite last weekend.Picture034.jpg

The gills are nice there too.

Picture032.jpg

We'll see how it plays out ,but I'm hoping to get Steve into some eyes on those shad.

I'm trying to make a believer outta him ,but over the last few trips it's been tough fishing when he's been up.

Good luck to those hitting the water this weekend.

I hit one of the "big three" north of town last weekend for a few hours in the rain. The target wasn't walleyes though, I drifted through the reeds casting buzzbaits for pike and bass. I don't think there's a more fun way to catch them than that! I ended up with about a dozen pike and 7 bass, also lost a few bass at the boat. Biggest bass 19", so it was a nice one! All the bass were released and I kept my limit of small pike.

I'm staying up here (Bemidji) this weekend. Not sure where we'll end up. The original plan was to hit the Red River near Grand Forks for cats, but Mother Nature obviously had other plans. Nice to talk fishing again!

Quote:

I wish everyone would just not say a thing if it isn't something nice!!! This site is becoming pretty political on backyard science...i.e hold the fish this way, don't keep this, don't mention that.....just keep the coments to yourself and fish!!!!

I thought we were talking about freedom of speech? smirk.gif

I see your point though, everyone has something to say, and I agree, most people should be careful! Politics have taken over everything, and it's all gone overboard.

Back to fishing, yes, 19" is a nice bass HP! Congrats!

Nice pannies CK, those are some dandies!

I'm out of here, time is better spent on the water!!

what i don't get is you guys that keep saying "freedom of speech", but only let it apply to those that share your opinion. if they don't agree w/ your opinion, then their being "rude" or told "who are you to judge". they are only offering their opinion, just like you are, each is entitlied to have their own opinion and if they so choose to share it, that's their choice. as for the issue at hand, i see both sides and think they both have very valid points. i also think that it's good to have differing opinions on some things once in a while, but just because ones opinion is different than anothers; doesn't mean that they shouldn't be allowed to share it. i'll step down from my sop-box now, i need to get the boat ready. hope everyone has a good weekend of fishing, and look forward to hearing how you all did.

Quote:

I hit one of the "big three" north of town last weekend for a few hours in the rain. The target wasn't walleyes though, I drifted through the reeds casting buzzbaits for pike and bass. I don't think there's a more fun way to catch them than that! I ended up with about a dozen pike and 7 bass, also lost a few bass at the boat. Biggest bass 19", so it was a nice one! All the bass were released and I kept my limit of small pike.

I agree ,when it comes to pike or bass'n I love buzz'n the top water & watch the explosions!

hey CK whast ur personal email if u have one or dotn want to post.. please email me @ jardsimmon aol com i have few question for u abt atkins lake area thanks!

keep up posting! i love your post i admit i learned a or 2 new techinque abt using hair jigs for panfish! thanks!

I'm glad you could pick up a trick or 2 Ole Matty.

I sent you an email.

I do not have a problem with putting my email out ,but since you gave me yours well ,I responded to you.

Which lakes are you wanting to know about?

What did you do 2 get fish ?

CK-

Shoot me an e-mail about deer hunting. I hunt with my dad and uncle. We have never hunted anywhere but the land we owned in Wyoming,MN. I am very interested. Is it your land? Leased Land? or Public hunting?

[email protected]

WOW,

I was out of the loop for a couple of day's. Sorry CK I didn't think that it would cause you this many problems.KEEP POSTING"

I went up to there last night and the access was gone???

No big deal Dale,

What do you mean the access was gone???

I was there Sat. & all was fine. Maybe they are dredging it out.

The ramp did start to slide sideways.

Oh yes they are redoing it all.

They took the steep drop out of the ramp & they dug her out.

They added rock & another layer of ramp on top of the old one.

They left the backhoe in the way ,but I still got around it.

We caught a few last night. Boy those skeeters are hungry.