• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Round Lake info by Squag

Does anyone have any tips for fishing Round Lake? We are going up today for the weekend and will primarily be fishing crappie, bass & eyes. Any information on this lake, baits, ect. would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• palisade1kid

• iland99

• Dale

• Matt Breuer

Quote:

Does anyone have any tips for fishing Round Lake? We are going up today for the weekend and will primarily be fishing crappie, bass & eyes. Any information on this lake, baits, ect. would be greatly appreciated.

The crappies are tough to find.Bass are really hitting anything moving & I'd go with leeches or minnows on bobbers in 12FOW for eyes.

Just park up with the other boats.

I'll be the guy in a white gruman trolling by.

I'll be there tonight an if you look out tommorow morning before daylight you'll see my running lights.

I took a few guys out Sat. night and the broke their cherry on eyes .They were both from Missiori and had never caught them before.

It was exciting to see them excited about their 1st eyes ever.

Picture001.jpg

Picture002-1.jpg

Of coarse not to be out fished I had to catch this monster.

1 of the guys said "they make em that little"?

Picture003-1.jpg

We all had a blast with several boated.Nothing huge ,but a bunch of great eaters.

Hey CK,

I just got your post this morning. They wind was up and my Buddy backed out on me at the last minute. We will try tonight if my Buddy can come out and play. If you are out there I drive a gold 2005 F-150 and I will have my 16 ft Crestliner. The Boat is a black and tan fishhawk.

You didn't miss much.We did catch a few ,but they were small.Eaters yes,but nothing that really pumps the blood pressure.Picture009.jpg

The wind died down to were it wasn't that bad.

It was still fun,tagged a few bass along the way and a decent pike.

I forgot to recharge my batteries so the H2O was down & the camera had enough for a shot.

I still had my FL-8 so we worked the breaks. Had a bunch of hits that were short.

All in all it was a good time.

The bite is getting better. It would really turn on if this stupid weather would calm down. Front after front.What a see-saw pattern.

I stopped by all 3 boats on the water ,no Dale.

edited to make Hollywood happy!

[Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

Crappiekeith- I couldn't agree with you more. I can understand how people don't want stuff posted, but it isn't like your saying fish these coordinates, with this bait, at this time, with a NW wind, etc. etc. You are just sharing information. I very much enjoy all of your posts, especially the ones in the panfish forum. Thanks for posting. As for those who don't like your posts, they are entitled to their opinion. They are probably just upset because their secret is out(even though Round isn't much of a secret) or they are worried about pressure. If people don't fish this lake, they will fish another and one of them will have too much pressure. Maybe we should just quit fishing all together....then we wouldn't have to worry about pressure! Thanks again for all your posts crappiekeith. I would love to fish with you sometime.

Coach1310,you just did my heart a world of good.

I bust my rear to figure out something,share it for nothing & get told to stop cause ,whatever.

I deleted everything that meant anything on this post to keep HP happy. I did report him to the site admin as well.

I'll not get to fighting.

I thought to help others get better.I'm glad you said something.

I suppose all of my reports need to get watered down so much so that they really do not help anyone at all.

Just lip service,eh?

i read your posts all the time ck and I don't see a thing wrong with them....yes they were biting for you that day but I am pretty sure you are a little more advanced in ability than most and most could not take the little info you give and repeat the catches you get......i understand were HP is coming from but I have not noticed the info you give to be spot exact even if you give a lake and depth....i have read a few times look for this or that but I am sure those are starting points and there are many of those on a lake........Keep up the great info CK and look forward to your next posts!!! wink.gif

I hear ya Ozzie.

This HP dude and others like him really take the wind out of my sail.

I know I should have thicker skin when it comes to getting told what I'm doing is wrong when I know it's not.

Your right about spot specific.Even if I did say the exact spot ,fish move.

I could be just drillin fish for 2 or 3 days & then the next time I'll go ,nothing. They moved. So I'll go find them.

I got beat up last winter about giving up Big Sandy from people that live there..

I have also been commended by the business community for helping spotlight the lake.

I derived no fees either way. I did sell a few jigs and most importantly in my book anyway was that I made a ton of fishing buddies.

We had a riot!

See there was my payoff. When I can make a guy feel good about himself through fishing then what better thing could I have done for him?

Did the lake get fished out ,no.Did the breeders get thrown back,most of them.

I ate a few ,had to keep up my strenght you know.

I chewed on this deal all of the way home & I'm torn between staying here and trying to fit in or just hanging it up.

There are other places this sorta thing never happens.

I got suspended here once already for bashing back the foes.

I'm a firm believer that the guy that starts something should be gone.

There's should be no room in allowing what was posted.

I'm feeling pretty crappy about it all.

I've gone back to delete all real info & even the videos that show us releasing those medium eyes that most would have kept.

Did I get an attaboy for that ....no

So I guess I'll keep doing what I'm doing & that's fishing and sharing how they were caught with the hopes it helps others out.

I have thousands of lurkers all over forum land here in the states and Canada that watch my posts.

I know from some emails that I'm helping those folks which means a lot to me.

Our industry is dying.

If I can bring a few guys back to the dinner table with some good eats and a few stories then ,I truely have done something good for our sport.In my case ,way of life.

I've got to agree with Hollywood Pete on this one. CK may practice selective harvest but I have personally witnessed many anglers at the public access with stringers full of ten inch Walleyes. So please take your "thousands of lurkers" and head for a lake that can better withstand the onslaught. For you, it might be an "industry" that's dying but for the rest of us, it's individual lakes that get hammered and then take years to recover while you're off to your next hot spot.

The walleyes do not reproduce in Round.The get restocked on a regular basis.

I appreciate your opinion ,but that's what that is an opinion and I can take it or leave it and for your info

the lake has been pretty quite.

So I doubt this thread is doing any damage to the lake.

If you were more educated about the lake you'd not say what you have said.

Go read the Mn.DNR survey & see for yourself.

As to 10" eye's being kept. Maybe you should go teach those folks about selective harvest instead of trying to teach me something about helping others to catch fish.

don't you see the it's the methods of catching is what's being highlighted ,not the lake.

Walleyes are abundant in many lakes and the way I catch them can be used on most of these lakes not just Round.

Too bad some of you guys is all about me,me,me.My fish,my lake.

What about the next guy.Does he not deserve help if he's struggling?

I will continue to post up.

you know the whole thing started when I tried to get Dale pumped on going for some eye's,now it's turned into something that I do not care for.

I'm done for now with this diatribe,too bad it had to go this way.

Keith, it's not you that I'm worried about fishing out a lake, it's the "thousands of lurkers" that read your posts and keep everything they catch. Most of us on here understand the concept of selective harvest, but a lot of people still don't. Go ahead and post all the info you want on Big Sandy, it's a BIG lake, not like Round! It can handle a little extra pressure - Round, in my opinion, cannot. I realize that it's a put and take fishery, but it has enough taking already. Round is bad enough on the weekends as it is.

Quote:

don't you see the it's the methods of catching is what's being highlighted ,not the lake.

Walleyes are abundant in many lakes and the way I catch them can be used on most of these lakes not just Round.

Exactly my point. Tell people you caught them at whatever depth on whatever presentation, tell all the details you want, but PLEASE leave off the lake names, especially small lakes, and especially panfish! I saw another one of your posts where you said a 300 acre lake had dandy panfish. That's ALL you said, but unfortunately, that's all it takes. I bit my tongue and didn't say anything at that time.

When I first signed on here, I made the mistake of posting about a small lake north of Grand Rapids that used to be dynamite for large panfish. It was the first and last time I'll ever mention a small lake name in a post again.

If you REALLY think I should be banned for what I posted, the internet is not for you. I didn't YELL, didn't call you names, I just stated my opinion that you shouldn't be dropping the names of small lakes on a PUBLIC forum, emphasis on PUBLIC. Email is great, because you know exactly who is reading it. Email Dale next time, help him out, that's great. What you need to realize is that besides Dale reading your posts, Tom, Dick, and Harry are reading them too, and they might not believe in selective harvest or posession limits, and just want to fill their freezer. It doesn't take too many extra limits coming off a small lake to ruin it.

Thank you for taking down all that info. Maybe I'm a jerk, and I'm sure I'm the bad guy in all of this, but you know what? I'm OK with that.

I get you HP.

It's just too bad a guy can't lay a bouy on the water without 20 boats pulling up on it.

Just so you know I got skunked on eyes last night there.

We hit every break with 1 eye being caught ,lots of pike ,but no eyes for this kid.

Folks need to get up on the selective harvest thing.

It's to hard on our fishery to keep everything you'll catch.

Sure you pay for a liscence that entitles you to a daily limit,but ethically how can a guy rape the waters like this & expect the fishery to remain in good shape.

Breeders need to go back.

The bigger fish tastey lousey anyway.If a guy knew the difference then I'm sure he's go after that good tasting fillet,not the muddy soft ones.

Filling your freezer just to have it full is dumb.

I'll never eat frozen fish. I'll eat them straight out of the lake or I'll toss them back.I may keep a few for my elderly neighbor.

I've had my fill of fish & if it is slightly tainted I can not eat it.

I'm looking for the prime food staple.

Freezing fish doesn't promote good taste. Fish are the fastest to break down from the bacteria.Even frozen the meat is going to heck.

Releasing fish is not that hard to do once you let the 1st few go.

It does get easier.

Having a camera to shoot pics makes it easier too.

You still get to see the fish ,only it's not dead.

It's still swimming around getting bigger.

I agree 100% about the buoy thing. Heck, a few years back, my buddy and I were anchored tossing slip bobbers for eyes in our beat up canoe. 6:45 PM Friday rolls around, and we had an 18' Pro-V trolling within 10 feet of us. It's a small lake, but not that small!!

There's a lot of bobber fishermen out there. They'll set up right on the break . So I'll try other breaks with the hopes of finding eyes ,but once I've been down them and I'm not marking then I'll go back to where I was & sometimes that where there are 5 pontoons and 6 boats.

Threading the needle can be tough .What's a guy to do?

You try to give a guy his space. 10 feet is not giving anyone any breathing room.

Well, now that I'm back from purgatory, I can reply! (Probably the shortest "time-out" in the history of FM). To reply, we were the only boat anchored in this spot, as it's not a well-known spot, at least it wasn't well known at the time. We were the only boat for at least 100 yards. The guy must have overheard some of our not-so-quiet comments, because that was the only pass he made.

Sorry to have gone there HP,it's just that I was having so much fun sharing and all of a sudden it's not ok anymore.

I still think there's room for everyone.

I guess fishing the lake during the week gives me a chance to have her to myself.

Pre dawn hours are quite and good for feeding eyes out there.

On the weekends I tend to hit other lakes that are even more secluded to stay away from the masses.

I have to jump in here, as I fish the Aitkin area often and used to be a devoted resident...

Yes hollywood, you're the bad guy... wink.gif Welcome back from purgatory....

I just have a couple of points/questions....

Do you guide crappiekeith? I thought I read that you do...

Also, talking about spots vs. presentations in posts, I've read numerous posts about VERY specific spots on lakes in the Aitkin forum. I read one about a very specific spot for 'gills on an area lake not long ago, granted, it's not a secret spot, but many creepers on the site may look into that lake now, whereas, if it were left alone people may not have even checked it out...

I agree with e-mailing info if you want to help someone! Posting that you're killing the walleyes on Mille Lacs is great, but posting that you're pounding them on a tiny lake is absurd... Or, tell people you pounded 'em on a tiny lake, just don't name it! If you do, you can really bid it adieu...

I agree with that way you made your point.

How does a guy email here.

No pm's?????

It's against the rules I thought to be tossing out links & addresses???

A person can e-mail me at mjbreuer at charter point net... I think that's okay??

Or maybe you can use the e-mail link... This one's fake...[email protected]