Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
1tofish

Report from Wednesday

4 posts in this topic

I wasn't going to post this report, but with such little traffic on here I figured I give you guys something to read....

2 of us fished Wednesday, launching out of Warroad. It had just stopped drizziling and a fairly dense fog had set in. We really had no plan in place, with the weather the way it has been, we didn't know what to expect for the day. Well the wind was calm and as we trolled out of the channel we decided to head to Elm. With the fog, this wasn't an easy trip, even with the GPS. There would have been no way we would have made this trip, without the GPS. We made it safely to Elm and went to an area where we seem to always have some success.

Half way through the first backtroll pass I caught a small 'eye. Next fish was a 25 1/2" eye, and then a 20". We were starting to think that keepers were going to be hard to come by. Then we found some keepers, fishing was steady until about noon when a small front came through and the wind and rain picked up. We hung out at Elm for about another hour not having much action. We needed 3 to finish the limits and decided to head to the Blinker.

After a choppy ride back, we stopped between Springsteel and the blinker. We drifted and trolled for about an hour and were able to pick up our last three.

I used a spinner and minniow all day and my buddy used a spinner and leech. With fish coming on both. He did catch the big one on a leech. We caught fish anywhere from 6' to 16', but the best action was from 10-11'.

On a side note:

Somebody better warn the fish on LOW, because there will be 2 new boats on the water this summer. As we came back into TRF on Wednesday night we seen LipRipper breaking in his new kicker that was attached to his new ProV 1900 IFS. Sharp looking boat. Then I ran to the radio station on Thursday and was informed by Curty that he has a new ProV 2025 IFS in the drive way. I would hate to be a walleye in the lake this summer.

Last night was more of the same. My fishing partner just picked up his new (used) Lund 1800 fisherman, so it didn't matter how cold and windy it was, we HAD to go out. After getting the test driving out of the way, the three of us dropped our lines on the north side of Springsteel. Two and a half hours later, we were headed back in with our twelve fish in the 14-17 inch range, plus we put back a bunch that were too small and one 24"....what a way to break in a new boat. We all used spinners and minnows. I'll be back up tonight for the long weekend. If anyone needs a live report from the Westside, give me a holler on 6......except Saturday from 8-Noon, I'll be fishing the LOW Fishing League event.

Yeah, Curt needs a bit of a butt chewing. While we were at D&E last night picking up the new boat, I happened to notice a really familiar looking PRO-V on the lot. The yellow NCOR stickers promted a closer inspection, and sure enough there was Curt's name still stensilled on the old Merc......He never mentioned a word about trading. If anyone is shopping for a good used boat, check with D&E on that one. I know first hand that it was very well taken care of, and it catches fish.

See ya in the morning Curtie.

Fishing on Wednesday! Don't you work? You need to hook me up with a job like that!

Mflint,

It takes a certain kind of person to be able to handle a job like mine. Not everyone can make the sacrifices that it takes to be able to fish on Wednesday's. This fishing is actually tougher, because there is no boats to follow. You actually have to go find the fish yourself. And sometimes it's just so peaceful on a Wednesday that the normal person might not be able to handle the peace and quite. So maybe in a few more years, Little Grasshopper, you may aquire the experience and fortitude it takes to be able to fish on a Wednesday.

Later,