Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rodric Christensen

Loon River

3 posts in this topic

I have an overnight motor permit for Little Vermillion and was wondering how far up the Loon River one can get with a small boat and motor (14 ft, 20hp ).Is it possible to make the Loon Falls portage and get back into Loon Lake? Thanks, any info would be appreciated.

not only is it possible its a great trip, having said that the loon river can be a dangerous place so take it easy your first time up. loon lake has a mechanical portage that will take boats up to 21ft.($25. bucks round trip-last year) in length on a narrow gauge rail and cart set up. loon is a fun lake but also has many hidden rocks so. take it easy.dont mean to scare you but just making sure you know the risks. the river isnt very good fishing but loon lake has walleyes and northers,bass. and is good fishing - best of luck.

The water levels are up finally and 56 rapids isn't too bad. 56 rapids is just before loon falls. As of last week there was 3 foot drop at 56 rapids and lots of people were taking out lower units and props. When you hit the rapids it would push the bow straight up and force the stern down and BANG, there goes your lower unit. With that kind of current you wouldn't be able to make it up 56 rapids with a 15 HP and therefore couldn't reach Freddie's portage. There are several large rocks in the river too, sturgeon rock especially that is right in the middle of the river. You have to hug the Candain shoreline when going past sturgeon rock. It's a little hairy. There are several bends in the river that you must stay wide on and there are others that you must hug close on, so it can be tricky, but an absolute blast when you're with someone who knows the way, i.e. Dad! smile.gif Also, keep in mind, that you can only fish the Candain side of Loon, which requires checking in through customs, candain bait only, etc. You can fish the American side as well, but that is part of the BWCA and requires additional permits. My uncle is up in Loon at this very moment so I'll post how 56 rapids was when he gets back.