Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
captshorelunch

Does a electric trolling motor....

7 posts in this topic

troll too slow for salmon or lakers on L Superior? I tried trolling with my 70 horse outboard and that seems to troll too fast. My trolling motor(electric, 55 lb thrust) trolled ok but it slowed as it was running out of juice. What kind of motors do you all use on L Superior for trolling? Is 70 horse too much for trolling?? My first year attempting to fish the big lake

Dont use the elec. Go get a drift sock and throw it over the side. The perfect set up would be 2 small ones out( 1 each side). With one the boat will pull to that side if you let go of the wheel. With 2 you wont have that problem. Good luck out there.

Quote:

Dont use the elec.

Why?

The drift socks would slow your speed using your big motor. I've even forgot the dirt sock before and tied on a 5 gallon bucket and drug that around. If it's calm out, your trolling motor would probably work.

Quote:

The drift socks would slow your speed using your big motor. I've even forgot the dirt sock before and tied on a 5 gallon bucket and drug that around. If it's calm out, your trolling motor would probably work.

So 2 5 gallon buckets with holes on the bottom for water drainage thrown over each side would be ok for a 17 footer with a 70 HPW??

Your boat and motor should be fine the way it is. I troll for eyes on the big lake with my Lund Explorer and 115 yamaha and never need a sock or pail. If anything trim up or down or put the bowmount down. I doubt you will need anything to slow you down with that boat and motor. If you do you probably need the rpm's looked at.

I wouldn't use the electric because the battery isn't going to last very long. All you'll do is end up with more charge cycles and loose battery life.

Personally I wouldn't go out there without a kicker, as a back up if anything else.

Between the main outboard, kicker, and driftsocks you'll be able to manage your trolling speeds. Your 70 HP isn't to big to troll with. If you can't get the speed down then throw a bag over. Right now going slow enough shouldn't be a problem. Why because your fishing on top. Once you start going deep then you'll have currents to adjust to. You might find you'll be trolling at 6 MPH going with the current or as slow as 1/2 MPH going into the current. The drift sock will get you to go that slow.

Having said all that, hey if its flat calm and you fishing on top go ahead and use the electric. You should have the sock and kicker though.