• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

How do I adjust a Tachometer

Down Deep

Question

I have a 2007 Lund with a 115 HP Merc 4 stroke. When I go to WOT the tach goes to 9000 (highest reading) It is trimmed properly. I called the dealer and the service tech told me that the engine is not red lineing, but the tack needs ajusting. This engine will sound an alarm and shut down if it over revs. He said they are backed up in the service dept and said I should be able to the adjustment. He gave me instructions, but how do I know if the tach is right.

He said the idle should be 800 and WOT at full trim should be 5800. There is a knob on the back of the tach. Experts????? Is this something I should be doing or should I take it to the shop?

Thanks

2 answers to this question

It's something you can do very easily and will take just 5 minutes.

I the back of the gauge there's an adjustable selector, just turn it to the correct settings with a screwdriver. You can do it while motor is running too, to check for accuracy.

It will turn easily, you might have to press inward a little to have it turning.

It will be one of these:

- Perfect (idle at 800rpm, WOT 6000rpm)

- Way off (idle at 1500rpm WOT 9000rpm)

- Zero readings

See picture (sorry a little out of focus):

lundtachtan2sm.jpg

Thanks Valv. I will give it a shot.

It's great to be involved with FM.