Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smallieobsession

The sign is coming.....new Gander store in Roch fall '07

13 posts in this topic

to go along with Tyler's post on the new Dick's.....Gander announced Monday that they were putting in a new store in Roch. It will be about 60k sq ft and will occupy the former Econfoods store off of 55th St. NW by Wal-mart and Sam's. Rock and roll....throw in the new Fleet Farm soon to come online and we've got like 300% more selection and variety for gear headed our way. it's about time!!!

both gander and dicks will make the sporting goods selection in roch alot better, i buy alot of stuff at gander,have never been in a dicks store but have heard good things, although with the "BIG" chain stores coming to town we all cant 4get about the smaller baitshops we have available, if we dont continue to support these guys, those large chain stores could easly put them right out of bisness, and all i can say is try to get some good advice and tips about the hot local bite from some teenager in a dept. store,good luck smirk.gif

good advice Shawn

I quit buying at Walmart when a lot of them quit carryin guns. Fleet farm gets my business. The Gander in Roch has to be the worse outdoor store I have shopped at. You cant get help and usually when you do it is a dismal display of gun/hunting knowledge. Items are not marked for price, a lot of things scattered all over the store..Maybe you guys have better luck with the fishing part of the store but the rest sucks. I know quite a few guys that like myself that agree. Also I support Coyote Creek for guns and related items..Very knowledgeable folks there that know how to treat a customer

yea no crap, I was in Gander Mnt the other day to buy some gear and when I went to go pay the kid that was working there never said Hello or even bothered getting off his chair to ring me up.... I was kinda erked by it I guess. I like to be greeted with atleast a hello, did you find everything alrigh...oh well, Im not going to spill any beer over it. smirk.gif

I asked an employee if the had .17 caliber one piece cleaning rods. He didnt know and he and i went to the gun counter to check with another employee. The gun counter guy was on a personal call just BS'n and saw us..he ignored us and stayed on the phone! One guy there does a great job, he is usally at the register tho..

Gander (and other big box stores) are certainly no replacement for the personal, genuine serivce and help you can get from the great local shops that's for sure. My interest in Gander, Dicks, etc is selection. And for me I'm probbaly talking more about camping, canoeing kind of gear vs fishing. I do a lot of camping and like to put my hands on stuff and check it out before buying so having somewhere closer to home where I can finger a wider range of stuff will be nice. I pretty much consider these places "self-service" and have pretty low expectations for any real knowledge from staff. If I find someone that DOES have something to add then that's a bonus.

I've been in Dick's Sporting Goods in Burnsville and to say that as a fisherman, I can hardly wait for the grand opening would be a lie. They've got stuff, but it's like going to Sports Authority aka Sports Mart for fishing gear. Not one of my Top 20 Choices to shop. I picked up my fishing license at Wally World because it was convenient and I know that the bait shops make nothing on them. When I'm ready for new tackle I'll head for our locally owned bait shops first. Now you have my two cents worth. crazy.gif

If I remember right doesn't Dicks concentrate more on some of the "other" outdoor recreational activities like camping, water sports, and actually some sports like baseball, basketball, etc...??? confused.gif

Quote:

I picked up my fishing license at Wally World because it was convenient and I know that the bait shops make nothing on them. When I'm ready for new tackle I'll head for our locally owned bait shops first. Now you have my two cents worth.
crazy.gif

I do think that the seller of our license(s) makes a few pennies on each license sale (not much thou).

Everybody makes a great point here. You can't put a price on good service the great tips that our local bait shops provide. These are ma and pa types of stores and they do depend on our support. We certainly need them too for bait, fishing tips, friendly smiles, info, local pictures and events, etc.

I would have too agree. As for fishing the smaller bait shops in the area can't be beat for local advice and what to use for a certain body of water. I say keep helping out the little guy!!!!!!!!!! Troy Pike grin.gif

After seeing a Gander ad in Outdoor News and got to wondering. Does anyone know if they will have boat sales at their new locations?

Andy

From what I've read, the new Rochester location will have a "powershop" which I beleive is ATV's AND boats, trailers, etc.