Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wetaline

Saganaga Lake Trout

8 posts in this topic

Looking for some pointers. I'm suppose to be heading to Saganaga in 2 weeks, hopefully it will be open for access. I'd like some pointers and tips on catching the lake trout there. From what I've been reading it looks like water temp is key. The lake is pretty big so I'd like some general hints on what area of the lake to target, if anyone has fished on Sag before. This is my first time fishing for lakers and can't wait. Thanks all.

The Sag "J" permit (day use motor) opened today. I would advise getting a guide for a day.

Try Long island with a sutton spoon- #43 if I remember right- and straight across Long Island is a huge cliff on the canadian side that goes straight down to like 80 feet right next to the cliff- they like to hang there too. If no one hears from me for awhile after posting this info, contact my buddy Mark- I'm sure he did it LOL!

Bring spoons, stickbaits, inline weights, and heavy jigs.

Can't give you a depth for 2 weeks from now but be prepared to get your spoons down. Use your sounder to locate benches that drop into deeper water. Lake trout will be on those somewhere and a jig tipped with a fathead would be my choice there. Bring an assortment of jigs from 1/4 - 3/4 oz.

In Sag I wouldn't hope to get into any suspended fish.

Get the spoons onto the bottom. If your finding you have to be deep let the inline weights drag through the sediment. An assortment of inline weights ranging from 1/2- 4 oz would be wise. Now I'm not saying the trout will be in 70 FOW but if they are you'll have your bases covered.

My lake map of Sag isn't to great, in fact its more of a hindrance. If someone can recommend a good map of Sag that be a great help.

Frank, the folks that make the plastic map cards make a fold out version of the sag map that is pretty good.

Fishermn, is there somewhere in Duluth that one can find the map your talking about. Or is there a web site besides the DNR's that I can find those maps? Thanks.

I bought that map at the holiday station in Grand Marais.

Yep, I think I bought mine from Voyageurs Canoe Outfitters up on sag. I think Bucks Hardware in Grand Marais carries them too...