Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
beanie

northern?

5 posts in this topic

Hey guys, two days and about 12 hours until I leave for Rainy!!! Well.....I'm excited. I have a question about Northern as it seems walleye are pretty much covered in the previous post. Working weed edges in shallow water was the last report on the one stop website, is this still gonna hold true when I get up there next week? Any other tips, favorite tackle, water temps to look for, etc. would be fantastic.

I would also like to take the time to thank everyone for all of the great information that is posted here. It's nice to have a place where everyone is so friendly, and an enviroment where you feel comfortable asking questions no matter how simple the answer is.

Thanks again,

Beanie

HI BEANIE,

GLAD YOU LIKE THE SITE, NORTHERNS WILL START STAGING IN DEEPER WATER, UNLESS YOU WANT TO CATCH THE HAMMER HANDLES, YOU CAN CATCH THEM SHALLOW ALL THE TIME. WHICH I CAN HONESTLY SAY...I HATE...WOULD RATHER FISH BULLHEADS, HOWEVER, IF YOUR TALKING THE BIG DOGS...10 TO 30 LBS., YEA, I'LL TRY FOR THEM. I DO NOT THINK YOU WILL FIND ANY BIG FISH SHALLOW, I WOULD TRY 10 TO 35 FOOT.

SINCERELY,

FISHMEISTER

You'll find a few up in shallow yet, but your best bet is to look deeper as Fishmeister said. I like focusing on the breaks, especially if there is a break close by some weeds or bulrushes. Fish em with big Husky Jerks, Jakes, and X-Raps.

Take Care and Good Luck Fishing!

thank you gentlemen. I plan on stopping at the one stop and hardees, hopefully I get to meet both of you.

Beanie

Fished the canadian side last week (5/20-5/24) and did very well on pike in th 30-40 inch range on x-raps, big spinnerbaits, bucktails, and jakes in wind blown bays close to deep water. Found 1 bay off the main lake that was pretty shallow, but very close to deep water and pulled 10 norhtern out of there over 30 inches in a matter of 2-3 hours combined over 2 days. Many other follows including a monster over 45 we guess who would not commit. Fantastic action in this size class.