• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

ML newbie tactics?

EyesOnThePrize

So I'm probably heading up on Friday early - my first time on the pond this year. I've only fishied Mille Lacs open water a couple of times and had decent luck on 3 mile (but that was in June last year). So that is the only area I really know for soft water.

I'm wondering - do I try something new like the north-east side (Fisher's area) sand or do I stick to what I know. I am not afraid to try something new but also want to produce some fish (since my opener on Osakis was NOT GOOD).

I've been following the posts and if I try the sand I think I'll stick to around 16' lindy rigging with leeches in the morning and move deeper as the morning progresses. I really don't know where to specifically go but maybe head south to the sand/rock area (see the rock-sand transition thread). Does that sound like a decent tactic?

So what would you do?

Pay $10 and launch at Fischer's or Agate. Start in front of Fischer's in 16-22 ft. Leeches red hook size 6, and either a glow bead or chart. bead. Maybe give spinners a shot also. Chart. hammered copper, or pink. 7 ft snells with spinners. 7-10 ft with the plain red hook.

If nothing there head to the sand. Start right in front at Carlsona anywhere from 27 ft and as shallow as 16.

Rodmaker, Are you cutting and pasting your responses? I swear I have seen this one before. Maybe its because the same question is asked every Wednesday like clock work. I am going to save mine too, I would never have to type again. I cannot wait for two or three more weeks then we can start telling people to go to the mud and drag spinners.

I want to get into the smallies soon. I may have to get up there in the next two weeks.

ah, osakis! my gramp had a small housetrailer there at kahlors resort on buck point for some years before he moved it to his brothers toward the north end. i fished there almost every weekend in the open water season from the time i was 6 until about 11. he was a sunfish fisherman...his biggest, so he said, was over 2 pounds. i did have one time with his brother on 2 mile when we got into a nest of pounders. we caught 30 total that averaged a pound each.

back to the thread and mille lacs. btw, gramps & i always went to mille lacs for opener. i think its a great idea to go to 3 mile, you know it and its a good spot. im not up there fishing all the time like a lot of people do. those people know...the charter captains, professional fisherman, resort owners and circles of hardcore fishermen, but i think the fish are everywhere and it all matters most on presentation, time of day, wind, temp, cloud cover, and consistency of conditions. a lot of stars have to align. time on the water is the big thing. someday i will be living there, but im not there yet. i know somewhere on the lake at any given time there is somebody catching walleyes, no matter the conditions...and there is always that chance of catching the biggest of your lifetime.

regards,

minnesotatuff

I have never fished Mille Lacs before so this weekend will definately be my first time on the water. What are the most favorable areas to fish, what things to look for? I am concerned about wind and boat control since I am relatively new to boating on such a large lake. I have never been successful in fishing for anything in deeper waters. As a matter of fact, I haven't been able to figure out how to even troll for anything. I always seem to get snagged and spend most of my time trying to untangle lines. I am not sure how to use the depth/fish finder as I have never been able to trust it. How can someone like me go out to Mille Lacs and be successful, considering the weather conditions this weekend? HELP !!!

TrophyEyes - my point was, having little experience on that lake, should I go where everyone is saying to go or go to where I know? Would it be stupid to try 3 mile at this time of year? Sorry to make you have to type up that response...(BTW - that was sarcasm, feel free to ingore posts that may be a waste of your time)

minnesotatuff and cichlid_baby, thanks for the advice - I'm leaning toward going out of Fisher's and seeing what happens...

cichild_baby,

it would be a good idea to hire one of the local guides for a day. for the $300 or so that it will cost, it will be worth it. a good guide will show you how to use your sonar, and how to rig up for all the different patterns. it is money well spent if you pay attention, ask alot of questions and learn from it..........tom fellegy

No, I didn't cut and paste. Don't mind posting if it helps people. Two pretty good trips. Nothing over 26". Probably won't get up there for a good 10 days or so. mad.gif

This weekend, hauling into the back yard 22 1/2 yds of black dirt, then later next week soding.

Let me know when your'e thinking about heading up if you have an opening grin.gif

I would give Fischer's and the Sand a try. Hear it's still been good. If you get on the Sand at Carlsona, don't be afraid to get out in 28 ft or so and fish. They are out there grin.gif Have fun!!!! Post your results next week.

In a week or so , you should start reading Posts indicating the the fishing will move out to the mud!!! This is a blast also grin.gif Easy presentation again. Long snells, plain red hook & glow bead. Or spinners. You will be using leeches & crawlers out there!!

Seriously, rodmaker is right. You really can't screw up the sand. Keep your depth in mind and check where you are when you hook into your fish. You will find a pattern (depth, boat spead, try raising and lowering your presentation). Personally, I would through out a drift sock or two and drift the north sand. Bobber fishing rock piles in the morning and night should still be productive, but you will have to find the 13 ft humps. I would give you some GPS coordinates, but my GPS is up in Brainerd. If you are new to the lake, you can easily find the crowds and let them show you what is working. Some will anchor, some will troll, some will drift. You can catch fish all these ways, but you have to find what is working. Long leaders are key, leeches are still king, and if they are hitting agressively you can throw on a spinner and speed up you presentation, maybe even switch to a nightcrawler spinner rig. I would really target different levels according to time. Morning 13'-17', Afternoon 20'-27', Night back up to 8'-14'. Bobber rigs include Slip bobber, 2 split shot weights, and a small jig (I think mine are 1/16 or smaller), medium to large leech. No jumbos on the bobber rig. I use jumbos on the lindy rig. Hope this helps.

Rodmaker, I will have to see who is coming. It sounds like it will be a college group and may even be two boats.

Great info - thanks.

Here is another question - could be a different post I suppose.

I recently decided to try a Lindy sinker that you can change the size of the weight while still on the line - basically there is a snap swivel with posts you can attach differnt size weights to.

I rigged one up with a three way swivel and attached the snap swivel of the sinker to one of the three ways (and obvious the other two went to line and leader...).

Question - do you think this will affect how the fish feels the leader. Usually on Lindies you feel the bite and let out line (if they are soft) - on a typical lindy sinker the line will slide back through and not cause resistence - but not on the setup I just described... I'm thinking this might cause the fish to release it quicker...

I don't have GPS Coordinates here (at work) for Carlsona. It is just North of Malmo. You can see the Restaurant or sign from the lake that say Carlsona. Just get out in that area and start working. Enjoy!!! grin.gif

As far as sinkers. You can buy sinklers from Northland tackle that all you have to do to change is to bend the eye a little to change. These work great. cool.gif The only drawback with these is if there is not enough wind to keep you moving, they tangle. They come in different colors also. Experiment with them also grin.gif

Rodmaker - thanks again - not to get way off topic but I have probably talked to you about making rods. Recently finished my first rod - made the handle out of Olive Wood - turned it myself on a lathe (G Loomis IMX 7 ft blank) and working on another one.

Here is a pic of the handle I finished handlesmall.jpg

You haven't mentioned about rod building. Looks Awesome!!!!

What is the other one your'e working on. Next winter, I'm going to tie up a loomis GLX 7 ft med light spinning rod. I'm going to extend the blank another 10" . Works nice for the longer snells on the Pond. Where do you build yours.

I meant I might have talked to you at Thorne Brothers (if you work there). I built them in my garage.

The next one will probably be a spin/jig IMX 6.5 or 7' medium action (can't quite convince the wife I need a GLX). The new handle is Kingwood with maple highlight rings - just finished the handle last night and will start on the foregrip soon. You should try wood handles - kind of a pain but looks really nice.

I don't work there, but I've been building rods up there for 10 - 12 years during the Winter. I build some for gifts. I think I may have 7 IMX's. I build one St. Croix legend elete. It's very nice, but I still like G Loomis better.

I get gift cert. for my BD & a few for Christmas. I have all IMX rods that I've built , and have never been disappointed. They convinced my to do one GLX.

The handles look awesome. What type of guides did you use. Alot of choices, and sometimes be overwhelming. Keep in mind that you can always make the rod a little longer by extending the handle. I take some 7 ft rods and turn them into 7'10".

The guides I have purchased for the two rods I am building/have built are sets: "BERKLEY BCSF SPINNING GUIDE SET 8 PIECE GROUP F" Nice looking and at $8.45 for the whole set, not too bad a cost - I didn't use all the guides on the one I completed. Of course they aren't fully titanium but oh well.

I've gotten most my stuff from Jann's Netcraft, Mudhole and Thorne Bros (mostly from the two web sites cause Thorne Bros is about 40 miles from my house). But my next blank might be from Thorne Bros - and possibly extending the handle but I don't have enough of an arsenal to warrent a long rod yet...

They (Thorne Bros) will take care of you. Never sold me the wrong blank. The last rod I built was a 7ft bait casting rod ML action for trolling cranks IMX kicked the handle another 10".

If your'e going there in the future let me know. I'll meet you there and get you set up with Scott or Mike. cool.gif