• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Looking for some guidance for early season Bass advice. Some friends and I are having a friendly competition this Saturday and I have never fished the lake this early in the season. Specifically I was wondering if anyone has a handle on where the fish tend to spawn? I would imagine a majority of the fish are spawned out at this point so those are likely the fish to target. I have a feeling the channel leading into Little Maple might be a good place to check. Can anyone help me out? Thanks a bunch!!

I have not fished it early either, but that bay(slough) off to the west side of the lake off the south launch may be a great area to check out.

The far north little maple holds fish in all the lilly pad spots. especially early in the year. However these fronts may push them deeper but they may still be in the north bay at the first breakline.

Hey Jeffyo you wouldnt happen to be fishing in a competition hosted by a Jung would you?

Thanks for the replies BLB & TNFL.

Matt

Yes I am. I am in your dad's B.A.S.S. club. I rode with him to WI this past weekend. See you at the lake on Saturday.

I was out there a few years ago early in the season and had really good luck. When i was there the fish were in the shallows. If they are there again try using soft jerk baits and senkos. They worked great of me. Good Luck smile.gif

I fished it yesterday. It was the first time on that lake this year. And man is the Milfoil bad. The bass were still protecting beds on the back side of the milfoil. Pops and I took the little maple southwest point and right by the bullrush's and the bass were holding tight chashing all the sunny's around. Nothing of huge size though.

Last year I was fortunate enough to get a good day with a buddy and we caught a bunch of 3ish pound fish in that same area. But that 7' area is milfoiled out. I would have wormed it but my pops isn't that finessed oreinted. Anyone else have luck recently?

Thanks for the report Travelinlaker- I was thinking of going out there some it soon. If i get a chance to get out there i will let you know how i did. Is the water clarity good or poor??

Typically the main part of the lake is pretty clear and the north bay, through the channel is darker water.

Went again. It wasn't bad. My pops hooked up a nice norther on the point. The deep side. Using a light spinner he was looking to catch a bass that he could see in the shallows. Once it got shunned by the bass he was kinda burning it back to the boat and BAM it hit and ran. We got a good look at it a couple times. But the Netminder and him were quite inexperienced and he lost his spinner in the debockle. He doesn't have alot of freshwater "respect" so he thinks he can just horse things in as if catching "bait" on the sea of cortez. Bait:1 Pops:0.