Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SquirrelBait

Fishing Line # test in this area

9 posts in this topic

What line and # test should I use in this area when I come up to fish. i will be a generalized fisherman trying to catch pretty much anything? Ive been using p-line.

S B, I'm not a flouorcarbon line fan, but if you like flourocarbon lines, I would stay with 6# test for eyes, bass, and sauger. If you intend to fish for pike, I would use a heavier # test line.

A couple of lines favored by anglers for all spieces would be some of the superbraids, small dia. and heavier poundage.

Examples, power pro, fireline and their are others.

The higher strength superbraid lines give your lures or jigs a faster sink rate, allow lures to run deeper, allow lighter jigs to be used, and the tensile strength of the lines is unmatched by mono or flouro lines.

The super braid lines telegraph signals, such as bites, and bottom structure, as well as allow a good hookset in comparison to some other lines.

If you like the flourocarbon lines however, don't think change is a must, I know several guides that still prefer your type line. guts

This is a somewhat related question...

What is the heaviest line weight that you would suggest for the leader on a crawler harness. Most of the pre-rigged 2-hook snells that I have found locally are 14-15lb xt or fluorocarbon....seems like the fish would see that thick of line in clear water.

I think Ill stick with 6#. I have 2 lager rods that I will put 10# on for some Pike. Thanks for the info guts!!

I personally like a heavy line for my snells to keep them from getting twisted up. It is a little more rigid as opposed to a light line that is limber. Heavy line is easier to tie a snell with (at least for me it is).

Growing up on Crane we always used 8lb mono. Two years ago i switched to 6lb mono. There are all of these new lines on the market with the fireline, and spiderline, and braided lines but you know what, I don't like any of them. I just bought fresh line yesterday for my camping trip up into Little Eva off of Namakan River and I bought 6lb mono. It's kind of like my putter on the golf course. It's really old and not technologically advanced like the new putters that are out there, but I drain just as many putts as the guy with the $200 putter. Like my buddy always says, "never blame the equipment, just the user!"

Well put J.N.! I use 6 or 8 lb. Stren old-fashioned mono as well. I've tried those others, too. But I always come back to the old favorite.

6-8 pound regular fireline or fireline crystal for something new. Walleyes in our area are not picky.

i run 6# green mono on my spining rods and 8# green mono on my baitcasters and in my boat the monos have out fished the braids about 20-1