• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I am heading into trout from June 21-24 for my first time. I know many people that go in and chase eyes but I was curious about lakers at that time of year. Does anyone chase them? I know of guys that do in the winter but I was looking for something else to try while we are there. Already plan on chasing smallies but I am really curious about the lakers. Any info would be great!

There are a few people that troll spoons on leadline and downriggers.

I have done well by running a line out with a cisco or sucker minnow on it into around 50 feet of water and then just setting on shore watching my rod tip!

Just look for a shoreline that drops fast into deep water.

Jigging spoons and hair jigs baited with minnows in deep water can really produce at times too! I usually start at the bottom and work the jigs up to the surface, then start over again.

Cliff

I will echo what Cliff said. I also like a Doctor or Daredevil spoon with a downrigger. I bought the transon clamp mounts for my cannon downriggers so I can take them off my big boat and run them on my little boat.

Steve

Is trout a fairly decent laker lake? I've fished it a few times for smallies, eyes, and pike, and i've heard there's lakers in it but not very many.

The guy who drove the portage last year said he saw a bunch of boats come through with good sized fish.

Trout used to be a very good laketrout lake. The fish averaged around 5# and bigger. A 20+ would not be out of the question there!

The DNR said that the numbers have appeared to decline the past few years, but they do not know why.

Cliff

We did well on trout for trout two and three summers ago. biggest was nine but we lost a larger one. Trolling spoons on flats next to deep water. flats about 50 to 55 ft deep.

we are coming up for a week in June, is it worth a trip to Trout lake for other species besides lakers?? Or should we just fish the Big V and be happy?

The later part of June and later is usually better for walleyes and smallmouth.

Cliff

I've found it really hard to fish for eyes. We got quite a few on a trip we took around the 1st of June one year, but since then we haven't had a good trip. If you're looking for smallies go into little trout. I haven't fished it for about 5 years, but it was the best smallie fishing I've ever had

Trout is a good walleye lake if you know where to fish. Every walleye you catch will be bigger than the biggest walleye you catch on a typical day on vermilion. The walleyes in trout are very clean, thick, and have a really nice color to them.

Just returned from Trout. 5-22-07 thru 5-26-07 First time for me up there. I'm guessing just because of the crappy weather fishing wasn't all that well. The first three days there we had a total of eight fish for four guys. Friday was a different story. We hammered them. Just in my boat we netted 50 walleyes ranging from 16 to 24 inches. Had some drunken clowns that we ran into that were true sportsman. Just have to love the kids these days that can put a downer on a good days fishing. To bad Mr. DNR couldn't have been there and slapped a fine on them. All in all Trout was good. Trick was to find water temps in the upper 50's. Saw plenty of fish on the Eagle 2 in deep waters more likly lakers. Didn't even drop a line for them though. Wind was just a tad strong to try anything out in the big water. Caught a few northerns biggest was 42" fun on light equipment. To top off the week we even got to watch a moose cross a beach in one of the back bays.

Where and what did you catch the northerns on trout? I havent had the best luck fishing for them on there. I'll be up on trout friday sat and sun. Most likely going into little trout though.

We caught a few in the gourge going into little trout portage. Also some of the back bays in the North end of the lake. Just look for the weeds and fished the outside edges. We never even tried for them we just happen to have them smack our walleye rigs.