Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rugbyguy

Big, Deep, or Rice Portage

4 posts in this topic

I'm coming up with the wife for the long weekend and would like to catch some fish. We will likely be limited to the portage chain. Any advice or what to bring and what depths to target would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I was up on the portage chain last Memorial Day, staying at a buddies cabin for a nite or two. We never got very serious about the fishing, but we did catch a few pike and bass trolling along the shorelines. Stop into Godfrey's in Backus, they will probibly have some better advise as to what is bitin' out there and what to use.

24" 4 lbs.

AndyWalleye24.jpg

Here's a shot of the walleye I caught this weekend at Big Portage Lake. Only walleye of the weekend, but the northerns were plentiful.

Nice lookin fish! If your only gonna get one it might as well be a nice one! I fish Webb Lake alot, just north of the portage chain. We never have much success number-wise out there, but the few we do get are usually nice ones (20"+). Someday I willl figure them lakes out.