Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
deerfishin

Albert Lea Lake or Fountain

11 posts in this topic

Have heard some good things bout both lately. anyone out there kno witch would be a better choice for off shore fishing. I kno the lakes fairly well used to fish Albert Lea Lakes channel alot but havent for awhile...Just lookin for an update i gess

hi, i been fishing fountain lake everyday, it doesnt take me long to get there from my apartment 3 blocks, i've done very well mid day and right before dark, so far i ate a few walleye dinners. in the last 10 days, i've avg 1 decent walleye everyday. just look for me at callahans i will be wearing a navy hat with a ac/dc shirt or a veitnam vet shirt.

I was walking the dog last night and saw a kid catch a walleye near the dam. I would say it was about 22-23". I said "Nice Fish" and he went down to the shore and lifted his stringer, the one he just caught was the small walleye. This was on Fountain, lots of boats and shore fisherman, so the word must be out. He said he was using floating jig and a leech.

Try below the dam. It is often very good when water is flowing. Use a Mr Twister. Or even better try a floating jig head with a big shinner minnow add a sinker about 10'' up. Let it drift with the current.

The 22"er was the small one? I thought the new state law was 1 walleye over 20" per person?

Any stringer like that should be turned in, if the lengths of the fish are legitimate.

No wonder its so hard to find a true trophy walleye in alot of the southern mn potholes...some people have no sense of ethics

I think the Game warden should do a little more investigating, anyway we really should have a slot on them, i wonder if they were caught on the lakeside or down in the channel area, i also can tell that most of the parents ive seen don't know much about the regulations and sportsman like conduct! ill put money on it that some people down there are keeping more than one over 20"

Contact the local CO and have them keep an eye out. Thanks.

Quote:

I think the Game warden should do a little more investigating, anyway we really should have a slot on them, i wonder if they were caught on the lakeside or down in the channel area, i also can tell that most of the parents ive seen don't know much about the regulations and sportsman like conduct! ill put money on it that some people down there are keeping more than one over 20"

The guy I saw was on the lake side. There have been a lot of people fishing there. I did see the game warden at the boat landing so maybe he is watching. You are right about the 20" and over fish, most people either don't know the law or don't care.

thats nothing i seen a few take home little itty bitty walleyes that were only 10" home frown.gif that ticked me off too, so far i have taken home a few walleye in the 15" to 18" range to eat 3 here and there, if i didnt catch them i would starve to death. considering low cash in the pocket.