Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hookertoo

Lake Superior Duluth - trout % salmon

12 posts in this topic

The wind finally went down just enough to get two Chicago students out for an afternoon of hot laker and coho action. We fished two miles off park point in about 75ft of water. Fire tiger and frog stick baits trolled with no weight seemed to be what they wanted. In a few hours we landed 6 lakers and 5 cohos.

IMG_1470s.jpg

why do 2 of those lakers look so pale? have they just been dead for a while or what? Ive never seen one that looked liek that, but then again I have never fisher L.S. for them, only inland lakes.

Quote:

The wind finally went down just enough to get two Chicago students out for an afternoon of hot laker and coho action. We fished two miles off park point in about 75ft of water. Fire tiger and frog stick baits trolled with no weight seemed to be what they wanted. In a few hours we landed 6 lakers and 5 cohos.

IMG_1470s.jpg

YUM

Lake trout in Superior come in many varieties, just like people in America. There are many different strains. Also it seems that the younger trout are sometimes lighter than the older ones. In the fall they tend to have spawning colors.

Thanks for the report hookertoo, I'm hoping to get out friday sometime if the winds allow. Last time out was 2 weeks ago and marked lots of fish on the bottom in @45' of water. Were the lakers taken off bottom or up top along with the coho's?

They all came upstairs. I ran one downrigger for awile with no bites. I'll be out again this afternoon.

All the lake trout I've ever seen or caught have come from lake superior or greenwood lake (very clear water) and they all had light gray/almost silverish backgrounds...then this winter I caught a laker out of gunflint and it was dark brown, that's pretty common in inland lakes, but to me it looked totally weird!

I have found that the trout on Lac La Croix are like that also, some very silver and some almost black.

Steve

The fishing was even better today. We caught 6 fish in the first 40 minutes and then we missed 5 in a row. A front came in and it was dead sea until it started raining then it went back to kaos. Ended up with 11 lakers and 4 coho for the afternoon. Same baits as yesterday plus a few were caught on dipsy divers, and downriggers at 30 ft. IMG_1474s.jpg

Fished the cheesey side for a few hours yesterday afternoon, 1 brown and 4 cohos. Lost a few others, including a nice king about half way to the boat. Evertyhing caught in about 20 fow. Purple/black bomber, and orange challenger worked best

hookerToo, welcome aboard and thanks for the reports.

Thanks Frank

Glad to share.

Saturday got rough, we stayed on the lake for a few hours and caught 5, trout and salmon. We went in the bay for the remainder of the trip and caught 3 keeper walleyes. Sunday we had strong west winds. The morning was non-stop action with dipsys and downriggers to 40 ft taking there share of the fish. Our last fish of the morning was a 12lb king. It took a painted lady spoon 4 ft behind a shark downrigger weight at 31 ft. We ended the moring with 14 trout, 8 cohos, 1 steelhead, and the chinook.

The afternoon slowed a bit with 12, including another king and 2 stelhead. ther seems to be a good year class of steelhead we have caught 4, all about 1 1/2 to 2 pounds.

Lots of cohos out there and they seem bigger than the ones we caught a week ago. IMG_1497S.jpg