Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
calli4120

Root River Fishing

11 posts in this topic

Hows the fishing been?

My family will be down there this weekend for our 2nd anual camping/biking/fishing trip. We are staying in the little town of Whalen not far from Lansboro. We didn't have much luck catching fish last year but had a good time none the less. Does anyone have any advice on catching fish in this area? I usually fish lakes so any pointers on river fishing would be helpful. grin.gif

Thanks in advance,

Adam

Any sort of plastic with a twister tail worked slowly in deeper holes and runs. Faster moving water....think trout.

Mixed bag of fish down there.

Good luck!

Jim W

Thanks for the info!

Anyone else have ideas?

Rapalas, twister tails, spinners and worms.

Drift a three to four inch green/brown tube through deeper runs and pools for some great smallmouth action!

I am heading down there this weekend, just wondering if anyone has been out lately on the root, and what they think is working for this weekend?

Thanks!

Water is muddy with the rains we've gotten this week. Fishing has been tough.

We have had even more rain since that last post. I imagine the root will be unfishable. Your best bet would be to hit some of the small spring creeks near there. There's a chance south branch creek (also called canfield on some maps) may be clear enough to fish in the park. Otherwise just east of Lanesboro, Gribben and Diamond have a decent chance of being fishable as long as we don't get anymore rain.

Got a couple smallies, but didn't check this thread before I left. Probably should have left the gear at home. It was pretty muddy. I'm glad I didn't pony up for a canoe rental...might have been a huge waste of money. I'll be back in the fall for some browns.

If there is no more rain this week, do you think the Root may clear up by this week-end? At least enough to be somewhat fishable?

It should be great by the weekend. The north branch of looked pretty good on Saturday, whatever one flows thruogh Lanesboro. The south. Whatever.