Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Larry Alexander

May Fly Hatch

16 posts in this topic

High All!

The wife and I will be spending 2 weeks at Pine Trees Resort the first 2 weeks of June. The wife is worried about the may fly hatch, when does this usually happen? We usually spend 1 week a year On big V. But it is usually in September. Will the things I do in September still be a viable option in early June?

Thanks and good fishing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last year that period was very slow for me. The weather was very hot and calm and the mayflys were staging to hatch but the weather conditions were not right so they just stacked up in the water column.

Most years that does not happen though.

Cliff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cliff and all:

It appears a cold front will be coming through for Memorial Weekend. I have traditionally had challenges with cold fronts on Vermilion. I have decent electronics, but wondered if there is a general rule, i.e. slow and deep, etc.

Thanks for any insight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PSU,

You nailed it! wink.gif

Slow and deep with lindy rigs. 5' to 6' snell, minnows or leeches,

Preferably in mud or mud/sand transition areas.

Cliff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could swear I saw small mayflies last Friday. BTW, the fish were biting very well from 5' to 37' of water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dave B~ how they hittin leeches?

Quote:

Cliff and all:

It appears a cold front will be coming through for Memorial Weekend. I have traditionally had challenges with cold fronts on Vermilion. I have decent electronics, but wondered if there is a general rule, i.e. slow and deep, etc.

Thanks for any insight


PSU do you slip bobber around your place at all? It can be a fun effective way to fish when they aren't jumping in the boat....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've started to but usually during the day. I think you said last year that night was pretty decent for walleye. Confirm? Sort of tough sometimes with the kids, games, and refreshments flowing.....We you up for opener? I saw some folks around your dock but never stopped by.....always a bit too much going on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes.

I'll send you an email. wink.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like how Larry's wife is worried about the may fly hatch. grin.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quote:

I like how Larry's wife is worried about the may fly hatch.
grin.gif


LMAO I missed that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny you should ask, how did you know we were using leeches?

Actually, we caught fish on fatheads and leeches. Most of the bigger fish came on leeches, but you dont seem to get as many fish on the small end. So if you wanted action, small minnows were the key, if you wanted quality, leeches were good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quote:

I could swear I saw small mayflies last Friday. BTW, the fish were biting very well from 5' to 37' of water.


You are right. There have been a few small mayflys hatching this week. They are not the ones that cover the lake surface though. They are an early season varity.

Cliff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It appears that some people don't beleave that the wife is worried about the hatch. as much as hate cleaning that black tar of my boat its a black & gray lund so it does'nt show up to much. But I cant get the wife out if the flys are sworming. Maybe that can be a good thing! grin.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ranckenstuff what side of Hinsdale are you on?

We are across the channel on the north side of hinsdale. grin.gif

huntump

Dan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Southwest side.

**********

Quote:

Funny you should ask, how did you know we were using leeches?

Actually, we caught fish on fatheads and leeches. Most of the bigger fish came on leeches, but you dont seem to get as many fish on the small end. So if you wanted action, small minnows were the key, if you wanted quality, leeches were good.


I did some research. You like your leeches and I remember last summer you commented on early season leeches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quote:

It appears that some people don't beleave that the wife is worried about the hatch. as much as hate cleaning that black tar of my boat its a black & gray lund so it does'nt show up to much. But I cant get the wife out if the flys are sworming. Maybe that can be a good thing!
grin.gif


Ha!

Your right Larry.

Id say later June into the 1st of July your more prone to be driving thru the clouds of bugs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0



  • Posts

    • Neighbor_guy
      When I left for work yesterday the lake had white caps on it. When I got back 10hrs later it was locked up. An hour after that the first idiot was broke through the landing. If we get the snow they are predicting for Saturday my guess is there will be sleds in the water this weekend. They do it every year.    Patients people. 
    • ZachD
      never been on the ice there but know from the summer there is good ones in there.... Good luck
    • ZachD
      Minnetonka there is a guy named John he just picked up 4 2017 wheel houses to add to his rentals I think he has 7 total now. He knows the lake darn well this is probably you best bet for the limited area you are willing to travel. I will pm you his info
    • Cliff Wagenbach
      I have never fished it in the winter. Do not know of anyone that has either. Should be good though! Cliff
    • eyeguy 54
      he is like a submarine, pops up every once in a while.