• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

oh... the crazy stories of marcell, most will just reply... "Where the hell is Marcell"

thanks for the info, i beter get out there and catch some of those smallmouth before the regulation starts, i like to eat bass.

TRZ, the BASS SLOT started Last year and is in effect this year also, all bass both LM and SM 12-20 inches must be released and only one over 20-inches is allowed. Check your regs before fishing.

Hopefully i will get alot of smaller ones and maybe a big one for the frying pan. are there alot of DNR up there on that lake?

Quote:

Hopefully i will get alot of smaller ones and maybe a big one for the frying pan. are there alot of DNR up there on that lake?

Sounds like a poacher! Always got there eye out for DNR, plan on keeping any 12-20 inch bass????

My thoughts exactly there Dustin! I'd sure love to know who this guy is as I'd be talking to the local CO about him!!! If you want to eat bass that's fine, but slot limits are in place for a reason, so adhere to them. Those 10-12" bass are the best eating anyways, depending what time of year and what type of water they're caught out of. When afield, a person should always conduct themselves and others in their group, in a manner that if or when they're stopped by the CO, they have nothing to worry about. If people would know the rules/laws and abide by them, this world would be a much better place! That is a FACT that I know about first hand!

Brian

he's just trying to get everybody's goat.

in the slim chance he's serious, remember, the woods have eyes....(and the tip number) cool.gif

is anybody in the area fishing for panfish or bass, i plan on coming up this weekend and chasing some of those bass along with having a good time. i hope the sunfish are spawning that makes them easier to catch. has anyone been checked by a CO in the area lately?

Yes TRZ, I get checked every time I go out, no matter where I go.

pretty much the same for every body around here.

have a ball.

Yep jigglestick, same here, every time I'm out there's a CO around. Sometimes I even see a tree or bush that looks suspicious and wonder if it's a CO watching me! I'm still waiting for the day when a CO "frogman" swims up from underneath the boat to check my license. grin.gif I've heard stories of Chapin swimming out to check people.

My dad and I are gonna try the 4am bite west of you on Thursday morning. Any idea if it's still shiners or switching to leeches?

Brian

brian email me and I'll tell you what I found the other day.

I am going to try to go out there tonight.

ddoree at paulbunyan (Contact Us Please) net.

I have to take the outdrive off of the house boat and see what the failure was there, then I have to pick up my son around 3:30...then my daughter around 6:00...after that, I'm going to be sitting on one of my favorite places in the world....no, not the recliner wink.gif

This has gotta be the longest Marcell area thread ever! I've always liked Big Turtle. I haven't fished it for a few years, but it has been a great smallmouth lake for me. Topwater early in the morning has been the ticket.

anything hittin topwater? bass spawning yet?

Quote:

anything hittin topwater? bass spawning yet?

Yet???? Most are done, mostly males gaurding their beds now.

Post-Spawn is the Best time for topwater IMO.

Jigglestick, you have mail! I've been bass fishing the last 2 days and have only been able to find the males up shallow, no big hawgs to speak of.

Brian

Well were back from Arcadia Lodge on Big Turtle. Our trip got cut short due to a sudden Funeral this Saturday. You guys were right, Big Turtle is a tough Walleye Lake, I managed to put 7 in the boat for the five days I fished. Water temps ranged from 62.5 to 65.5. Biggest eye was a 25-incher that came off a rock pile believe it or not in 12-FOW around noon, good fight though. Also caught some nice bass in Moose Bay on Top Water lures, that bay got hit hard just about every hour of the day by boats. Very tough lake to fish with all the sudden depth changes and all. I must say though that we won't be going back to Arcadia Lodge. Very nice cabins, docks, and great restaurant to eat at but very poor customer/oriented service and appreciation. Due to an early check out for a funeral, we were never asked by the (grandma) at the place if we enjoyed our stay, if we ever wanted to come back to Arcadia, was there anything we liked or disliked, or even a THANK YOU FOR STAYING THERE AT ALL. Along with that, the guests were expected to carry our their own garbage to the garbage pile they had in the woods and sort and recyle their own recyleables, I've never ever had to do that at a resort/lodge in my life EVER, and also the hot water that came out of the hot water heater was dark black in color, we told Steve about it (the owner), very nice guy every time we talked to him, he put some bleach in the hot water heater in the cabin and drained the hot water heater, but we couldn't shower for alomst two days due to the very strong bleach in the system until it had run out it's course. Also it took 3 attempts and 2-days of asking to get simple coffee filters for there coffee maker which stated for guests to not BRING COFFEE FILTERS of our own, also they listed items for customer use like a pancake griddle, THEY HADN'T PURCHASED ONE YET FOR USE. Also the owners wife which bartened got myself and my wife all mixed up with other people and got somewhat sarcastic with us while I'm sure she was on the sauce before noon. I guess all in all, the best thing about Arcadia Lodge on Big Turtle Lake was the cabin and the other guests there, which I might add half of them trailerd there boats ot other lakes day in and day out. WE will never be going back there again especailly for spending over $1000.00 for a weeks vacation and not one single Thank you AT ALL. One good thing, the Frontier Sports Shop in Marcell was great, had a little bit of everything but like you guys said, you'll pay for it, great store. and very nice town Marcell was.

yea i looked at the lake in the outdoor news. it says all good sized bass must be released. so any good sized fish well 15-25 r good size fish even smaller so yeah good luck buddy. cool.gif

• 3 weeks later...

fourth of july coming up, mackenzie island and we the people across from them have the best shows of all!

• 2 weeks later...

Coming up to Arcadia next week; our second trip. Found some fairly active smallie locations last trip. How has the Walleye bite been? Also, can anyone tell me how the lake level has been?

Thanks.

Going up to big turtle 16th-21st, and will be camping on the east side of the lake by hwy 38. what would be my best option of walleyes? trolling raps during day/night, or bobber fishing with a leech? will be doing some bass fishing and pike fishing also. any tips on finding big pike would be nice like trolling big lures deep, or maybe sucker minnow on a bobber? not really sure what to do so any hints would be nice. thanks

Fronttier Sports in Marcell maybe able to help you out with some what's and where's on Big Turtle. I have never fished it before, but am planning on it this summer, mainly for bass.

Brian

• 4 weeks later...

We used to go to Turle every year when the Turlte Lake resort was still open....... Awesome fishing, but like everyone has stated.... the walleye fishing is TOUGH! I'll be making an appearance up there at the end of September..... Ready for some smallies and northerns... The biggest fish as far as walleye, smallies and northerns that I have ever caught all came out of Turtle......... Love that lake! It'll be great to get back..... except I'll be missing the Bow Season opener here in Indiana. Ah, the sacrifices one must make....