• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Garmin Street Pilot ????

tyeeme

Question

I am looking to buy a on the road navigation aid. Just wondering if the street pilot or similar will tell you your exact lat/lon orientation. All I ever see are map positions without coordinates. If anybody knows please let me know. I need both abilities. Thanx

6 answers to this question

It depends on what model you are looking at?? Any ideal. Some of them dont and some do!!!

I dont care what model I buy just as long as I can access my position lat/lon. I need it for work I do pipeline construction and need it to find work sites easier but I also need to record exact gps positioning for reporting purposes. Sorry I should have addressed that.

I dont think you would like a Street Pilot for what you want to use it for. I think a hand held GPS would work better for you. cool.gif

Quote:

I am looking to buy a on the road navigation aid. Just wondering if the street pilot or similar will tell you your exact lat/lon orientation. All I ever see are map positions without coordinates. If anybody knows please let me know. I need both abilities. Thanx

Get the Garmin Nuvi 350, or the 360 if you want bluetooth.

It'll tell you your lan/lon, it will tell you how fast your moving at any given time, it will tell your accuracy.

It also has something like 2M points of interest, meaning your restaurants, gas stations, hotels, etc., all across the USA.

I use mine for running estimates and deliveries, and 95% of the time it puts me right in front of the house.

I WILL say that, if you're familiar with the Roseville area.....

For whatever reason, it says the Super Target on the SE corner of Snelling and Hwy 36, is actually about 1/2 mile to the NW, at the corner of Fairview Ave and County Road B2.

Also, it seems like there's entire towns left out of the points of interests. If I try to look up info north of Forest Lake, alot of those places aren't included.

Also, you'll run into stuff like the Best Buy in Maplewood and Roseville are not listed, however 6 others in the cities are.

I was told by the guy at Best Buy that all the companies use the same Points of Interest-company, so it's the same from GPS to GPS, except for Tom-Tom.

Thanx guys I bought the Nuvi 350 this morning nice unit but terrible voice choices.

I agree. I use the second female choice, unless my wife is in the car, then I switch it to German. She's 100% German, moved to the states (Army brat) about 20ish years ago, so I have her translate, to see how well it'll get people around that don't speak English.