• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Wildlife

Where is a good spot to see some wildlife such as bears, eagles or moose? Is it also true that it is illegal to photograph wildlife in Canada without a permit even if you are in the US??

Thanks

If you are going through Orr in the evening they have a bear area that is fantastic. Eagles are all over the area around the water, and I've been going up to the Namakan area for 30 years and never saw a Moose.

Good Luck

The area near Orr is the old Vince Shute place. You can go view the bears from elevated platforms. They feed them which draws them in every night. Vince used to do the same which made him a local legend. He's gone but his place is maintained as a bear viewing area. You'll see eagles all over the park, but check the board at the accesses. Where they're nesting there may be restrictions, such as stay a certain distance from the island. You also may see bears in the park. I've been going there for 20 years and haven't seen a moose.

have seen a moose once on the river on our way up to little eva. it wasn't far from bergers trading post. at first i thought somebody had put up one of those wood silohuetes until it started moving.

25 years ago, came upon a moose swimming up in Lost bay. Saw 3 otters playing last year in Windigo bay. Guy in the cabin next to us saw a bear along the river in that same bay. Eagles everywhere, deer everywhere. Saw a female wolf with a cub in her mouth along the road leading to Northern Lights 3 years ago. God! I can't wait to get back. grin.gif

I have not ever heard it was illegal to take pictures in Canada or that a permit is required to take them. Have lots of great pictures I have taken over the years. Maybe I am being reeled in here but can someone post the facts?

I saw what I thought was a moose on the way to Crane this past weekend. I just had gone past Myrtle Lake and I was driving down the long straight stretch before the Elbow Lake Road and I see what looked like a young moose about 5 feet off the road in the tall grass. I was on my bike and slowed way down in case it decided to cross. I get to about 50 yards away and realize it's not a moose it's a huge black timberwolf. I was going about 15 MPH as I went past it and it didn't move at all. It stood there calmly and just watched me slowly go by. I'm just glad it's not like my neighbors dog and likes to chase bikes. smile.gif 3 years ago I did see a big bull moose on that same road about 5 miles outside of Orr. As far as up on the lakes I have never seen a moose either and I have been going up there my whole life practically. Eagles are everywhere and bears are around in descent numbers. But to be honest after you've had a few tents and coolers get trashed by bears in camp you really hope you don't see any. wink.gif

My friends and I were talking about the lack of moose in the Buyck, MN. area just a few weeks ago. For unknown reasons according to the DNR, the moose population in MN is declining rapidly and they cannot pinpoint the reason. In the past several years we have not seen a moose West of where the Hunting Shack River crosses the Echo Trail.