Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
styx

Lindy leader , any benefit to fluoro

11 posts in this topic

I have been using green trilene xl for my lindy leaders. I am considering some of the fluoros. Has anyone seen benefit from this? I have heard that these lines tend to sink more than regular mono and have been reluctant to try it (that at the extra expense)

I use 6lb trilene XL green for my snells. Works good for me.

I have tried it and had problems with knots breaking on big fish. It's really upsetting when you loose a big fish pull up the end of the line and see the knot broaken and unraveled. I do wet the knots when tying but they still do not seem as strong as mono.

Jim

I use Berkley Vanish and love it! I use 10 lb. test and it is definitely less visible under water, and I do believe it helps with more strikes. I know this because I have outfished people using mono or other lines. As far as knot strength, I have not noticed a problem. (Is there a certain knot to tie with flouro??) Hope this helps...

Is your knot breaking at the hook or the swivel? There is a very good site for knots. www.animatedknots.com I use to use Stren Magnathin but have switched to Gamma. There is no question Gamma is the ticket.

I use Vanish in 6# test. No issues with big fish (28" on opener) or knots. I use snell knots on the hook end and polmar knots on the swivel end. Like mentioned above make sure the line is wet when you tighten the knot. Dragging through rocks may frazzle the line a bit...you might have to check it more often when on gravel or rock...just thinking of when I had to retie my line after a small snag or whatever.

I actually just switched to sufix and love it. I did not like the flourocarbons. I had some issues with them getting kinked and messed up after a big fish. Personally I like regular mono. Just my opinion. I felt like I had more bites with Flouro, but I just didn't have confidence in the line. That probably doesn't help. Everything has its positives and negatives.

Styx, have you been catching fish on what you use? Do you feel comfortable with it? Then don't change if you answered yes to both those questions.

I use 6# Trilene XL for my main line, then use 4# red Vanish flurocarbon as the leader. You would think that 4# would be too light, but I cannot remember the last time that I broke off on a fish on the pond. We check for nicks often, and replace leader 2-3 times a day. I can't say for sure, but I feel we get more bites with the lighter line.

I also use the Vanish in 8lb and never had a problem with it as far as breaking or knot's slipping or unraveling. and do think that it does help you get bit more. I have tried gamma for fishing smallies and didn't like it thought it had to much stretch, but it might be different for just using as a snell.

I have used the vanish for leader for a number of years in both 4 and 6lb.I can say i have not had any problems with knot strength and fish breaking off.In the winter i use the 4lb on my set lines and have had lots of success when others have not.I am covinced it helps when fishing is tough.Burl.

I use Trilene XL clear 4lb test for my snell, 12 foot snell. Works great, but you need to check for nicks, also you need to hook them in the lips, instead of halfway through their digestive system. My fishing partner used gamma line over opener, and he was outfished. OF COURSE!!!