• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Blackduck/Elephant?

Hey all,

How's the bite on these lakes? I'm heading up in a week and curious to see how things are going. I've heard things have slowed down compared to previous years.

TJ

Thanks Redneck. I'll be sure to post my pics when I get back.

Just couldnt see driving up to fish either of these lakes considering the other lakes in the area...although blackduck does have some larger size pike in it. I have relatives with places on both of these lakes.

Blackduck is another lake that has been over fished. 5-6 years ago there were few boats on the lake. The last 2 years everytime I went up there, the landing was packed with trailers. The last time I was on BD there were more than 20 trailers parked! A small lake like that cannot take that kind of pressure.

YEAH, WHEN THERE IS A TIGHT SLOT ON KAB AND THE RESORTERS CLIENTS ARE NOT CATCHING FISH THAT THEY CAN TAKE HOME, THEY SEND THEM DOWN TO A LAKE THAT HAS NO SLOT AND GOOD BITE. AT LEAST PEOPLE MIGHT LAY OFF THIS LAKE FOR AWHILE. HOWEVER, I HEAR THERE IS A HOT CHAIN OF 5 LAKES ABOUT 20 MILES NORTH OF HIBBING. WALLEYES ON EVERY OTHER DRIFT EVEN DURING THE MIDDLE OF THE DAY AND BLUEGILLS THE SIZE OF PAPER PLATES.

I THINK TJHUNTER WOULD HAVE BETTER LUCK PLAYING PICK UP STICKS WITH HIS BUTT CHEEKS THAN CATCHING A BUNCH OF EYES UP THERE.

our anual trip to blackduck may get postponed due to 34 degree night temp forcast and burning ban..do you know j.burghardt or m.halliday?

I THINK THAT M. HALLIDAY HAS A BROTHER THAT PITCHES FOR THE BLUE JAYS.

SUPPOSED TO RAIN ALL WEEK UP THERE. MIGHT HELP WITH THE BURNING BAN SITUATION.

We have fished Blackduck numerous times over the last 8-10 years and always seem to do fairly well. Elephant seems to have better size fish but can be really slow at times. I am leaving tomorrow and plan on at least one day at Blackduck and Elephant and will post the result. Our group has caught and released some nice walleyes on both lakes.

Catflisher I know a M. Halliday the insurance guy. Is that the one you are referring to? I was 4 wheeling with him when his wheeler caught on fire.

kgneis, send me an e-mail. When you get back I have a question for you. wink.gif

I have been going up to Elephant with my dad for the past 10 years, we have done pretty well in most years but it definately has slowed down, (both crappies and walleyes), the past few years. I am interested in seeing how kgenis did. I will be going up there June 9th for a week.

I'm glad we didn't make the drive past Blackduck. The fishing was great. We caught a lot of very big bluegills, a limit of crappies, about 100 smallies and about 20 'eyes - although the walleye fishing was a lot slower than previous years. We caught 6 keepers(letting 2 of them go) and the rest were shorts...

tjhunter

SO PELICAN TURNED OUT AFTER ALL? GOOD TO HERE THERE ARE STILL FISH THERE.

Sorry about the delay with my report. Unfortunatly I was forced to cut my trip way short as my 7 year old son was taken to the Mayo Clinic emergency (St. Mary's Hospital in Rochester) with a staff infection in his blood and bone. He waas running 106-107 fever and it was "not good" at the time. He is doing much better now....

Anyway my buddies who were still there fished Blackduck on 5/30 without much luck. Only a couple walleyes and some smallmouth. They moved to Elephant in the late afternoon and just "smoked" the crappies and caught several nice eye's on the rockpile at the north end of the lake. They even had crappies hitting topwater lures fishing for smallies. Sorry I do not have any more details for you but my fishing trip "up north" was secondary to my son's situation. I did manage to get 10 eye's myself on Kab saturday 5/26, but only 3 were under 17" and the biggest was 24"......

Hopefully a fall trip may be in the future!

Kngneis,

Sorry to hear about your son, but glad to hear about the good fishing on Elephant.

I have been going to Melgeorge's Resort on Elephant Lake since I was a baby (40 years ago). I recently built a cabin at the resort (now a CIC). I wouldn't have gone to Elephant Lake for so long or built a cabin on it if the fishing were bad (especially since I live in the State of Virginia). The walleye and smallie fishing is excellent and over the last few years, the northern action has gotten better due to the new size restriction (it would help if more people complied with the restriction). Although I don't normally fish for panfish or crappie, I sure see a lot of those species in the fish cleaning house.

I think a lot of people dismiss Elephant Lake because of its size and its location. However, my friends and family have years worth of pictures to prove that there are plenty of fish to be caught, with decent size. You just have to know when, where and how to fish the lake.

I have read all of these posts. It seems to me you want a thousand people to be lined up at the boat launch!!

Tammarack,

Quote:

I recently built a cabin at the resort

Is yours the new one on the hill that sleeps about 10 people? If it is, we are renting it on the 25th of july for a few days.

Dock Boy,

Its a win-win situation for me whether people come out to Elephant or not. If more people come out, my cabin will likely be rented more. If they don't, then there will be less pressure on the lake. In any event, I doubt that my or any other posting on this board will result in everyone jumping in their cars to flock to Elephant.

Yes, it is the new one between the lodge and the main resort with the cliff behind it (although it is a maximum of 8 not 10). We just got back from spending two weeks up there decorating and getting it ready and I will be back again July 4 with my buddies.

I appreciate any thoughts/suggestions you might have for us after spending a few days there...we really tried to build and outfit a place that people would really enjoy.

Howard Johnson is right!!! We don nee ani dem flimmer flammers figgin on dis her lakeafrasen ketch awe da walleyflasin. Rerrra!!!

laugh.gif

We're coming up from Indy for a week starting July 14. How is the lake level? Wasn't sure how much snow/rain the Orr area got this year.

my wife's family has a cabin north of hibbing. they are up at least 18" from last fall. on the other hand, i have heard lac seul in canada north of there is down something like 3'. its hard to say. they have had quite a bit of rain over the last month or so, that should help the water levels.