Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lookin4um

Where to go on Kab in wind

6 posts in this topic

I'll be on Kab june 2-8. I've noticed from the weather sites that the wind has been up pretty often. Last year I got caught in Tom Cod bay after a calm morning and then a 17mph blow came up out of the east. White knuckles all the way back to mid lake. So here's the question: Where would you go if the wind is up either out of the west or east? 16 ft. boat, 25 hs motor and two people. And still catch fish when not on a wind blown point?

I would try fishing the east end as there is a lot of cover down by Ritchie, Headlight, Martin ect...

A wind swept point is a good place to fish.

Usually the first place I head to. With a transom mount trolling motor, I find it difficult to control the boat and fish when in a stiff wind. Usually try to get into the windless side of an island and cast out into the waves from there.

Bring a weather radio. Not always right on, but you'll have an idea what to expect when you go out in the morning. It sounds like other than fishing, getting back to where you were staying was an issue. I started up there with a 14' Wards boat and a 15hp motor, so I had more than a few scary times on Kab. I still watch the wind and move closer to home when it starts coming up. As posted before, the Headlight, Ritchie area is good. If you're staying on the west end, the Grassies, Ram, Picnic, or Yewbush can be good. Use the islands for shelter on the way home. And even if you're on the bite behind an island, watch what's going on out on open water. You don't want to have to stay there all night.

I just got back for the windest week every. Monday & Tuesday the wind had to be better than 30 mph. We fished in where the wind was blowing,it was tuff fishing but caught fish. I have a 16ft with a 40hp. we got wet, but taking it easy it was fine. Good Luck.