Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kylersk

Attic insulation..

5 posts in this topic

My house was built in 1978. Today I had a quote to replace our furnace and air conditioner. The sales rep asked about my attic. It has blown in insulation and I assume it's the original install. It appears to be just as tall as the joists.. Maybe 6" or so? He figured (without looking and going by my description) I had an R value of about 15 and said I should increase it to 45 or so. He said it would make a big difference in summer and winter on my house.

Thoughts?

Over the course of a couple years it would be cheaper than heating fuel at these prices. I have 8 inches of blown in and 8 inches of fiberglass batting, so I figure I am around 30 r value or so.

To code attic insulation should be R38,The info on blown in is on the pack for inches to = R factor.You will save $$ and notice a big difference in summer and winter,Good attic ventilation is also a must!! The only bad point about blownin is after a few years it settles and loses its R factor from compression the loft = air pockets which is what insulation is all about.Only 6 inches is very poor!I'd blow in at least R 38 or more the way fuels are going!!

Yes, as long as you can maintain adequate ventilation the greater R factor the better. Myself I would go for at least 45. It may be a little up front but the energy savings will be HUGE.

Id also avoid using cellulose insulation (ground up newspaper) and choose a fiberglass blow in product, it will not settle like the paper.