Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kyle Sandberg

Flats by the weekend?

11 posts in this topic

Will people be heading out to the flats by the weekend or will they stay around the shore and fish the sand/rocks. Any help apreiciated.

Lots of boats out on the flats last weekend if thats any indication.

ttt

Yep. there are walleyes on the flats already. Found them out there on Saturday and I'll be back out there Friday.

Thanks. Just what I wanted to know. Whats the big secret about the flats?

no big secret at all. there are fish out on the flats all year long, just like there are fish on the reefs all year long. last july and august in the heat of summer, i caught just as many fish on the inshore reefs as i did out on the flats and gravel bars. it all depends on the weather. i guess if there is a secret, it would be what pattern is catching fish.................tom fellegy

hey tom what would it take to get you to fish with me for a day would love someone to teach how to read sonar and help out in paterning fish thanks henry

Did OK on the flats-closest to shore-just out from the reefs on the west side. Seemed like by the weekend we were really showing more fish stacked up together and not scattered as they were earlier in the week. Leeches and crawlers. It seems that they would turn on to one and then after a while switch back to the other. Tried fatheads and shiners also with one fish on a shiner-jigging.

The flats are going now with the Mayfly hatch happening. I was able to get out for a few hours last night with PWT Pro Kevin Madigan and we managed several nice fish off of the mud.

For us the key was to go with the slowest presentation possible.

Thanks Paul. Just what I wanted to hear.

The mud is "good to go". grin.gif