Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LadyFisher

Fishing Big Pine Lake

11 posts in this topic

Anybody fish Big Pine regularly? We have been out there three years now and are still learning the ropes. Just looking for tips/tricks that might help. We're always hearing of guys bringing in walleyes and we seem to pull in 5-6 a summer. We also fish bluegills/crappies but can't seem to find many yet this year.

work the structure up and down with lindys.when you find what depth their in stick to it theres usually more at that depth.

Thanks - guess I'd better invest in that GPS since finding good spots again on that lake is tough.

Squaw point, the shorline of the high bank leading to Squaw Point, and the horseshoe weedline are all good early season spots. There are a few breaks and humps out from squaw point usually hold some fish and are good on windy days. There is also the clam beds that are good later in the year as well as early, pulled some nice fish from there a few years ago, but havent fished it much since then. We had a camper on a seasonal spot until they decided to turn it into something else, which still hasnt happened yet.

You have to get out and do some searching. Been fishing the lake for 20 years and seem to catch fish in a new spot every year. Last year caught a lot of fish on the break out from the ottertail inlet and also on the shallow flat out from the weeds in front of the ottertail outflow. Lightweight bottom bouncers have traditionally outproduced the lindy nosnags for us, seem to keep the bait above the weeds a little better. Straight 6 - 7 ft snell and a plain hook. Shiners will be the ticket right now, but look to switch over to the cheaper baits (leeches and crawlers) in the coming weeks. Later on in the summer (July) I have had good luck trolling deep reef runners in the main lake basin (25 - 30 ft). As for the sunfish, lots of them and really nice fish, but they are all full of the black spot parasite and no thanks to eating anything that grows in a birds intestines. Usually hit other lakes for panfish. Crappies are good early and late, pretty hard to find in June/July. Hope this helps you out a bit. I'll be out in a couple weeks for a week and a half (have a camper @ whispering pines). Good luck!!

Thanks for the tips - we have a place at Big Pine Lodge on the other side. We have caught TONS of bluegills and sunnies and have never had a problem with the parasite you mentioned. I think we ate them once a week last summer and have had 2 meals already this year. Now I'm thinking twice :-)

Check out the sunnies next time you catch one. It will have little black spots on the tail and fins. When you fillet the fish there will be little round black spots in the meat. The DNR website explains what the parasite is and that it is harmless if the fish is fully cooked before eating but I still can't get past that. Haven't seen it in any of the walleyes or crappies, but most of the perch and sunnies have it along with some of the northerns. DNR says its linked to the fish that spend a large majority of the summer in shallow. Most of the people in the campers around us still keep and eat them also and I don't see anyone walking around with black spots on their face wink.gif Good luck in the search for walleyes. If you see a green Lund Angler with a 80 yamaha tiller (ND registration) in early june swing by and say hi, might be able to point you in the right direction (hopefully).

I've been fishing Big Pine a couple weeks a year for about 15 years now. I also stay at Big Pine Lodge and will be up the first week of June grin.gifgrin.gif(I can't wait). It's hard for me to give up my honey holes but will tell you we always seem to have luck trolling a floating rapala in the bay area in front of the resort all the way over to Reynolds Point by Golden Eagle. Usually try and stay in 6 to 9 foot of water. This usually is the best in mornings and evenings during early to mid June. Jigging the drop offs with live bait is a good bet during the middle of the day. These are just a couple of things that have worked in the past for me. If you're going to be around the same time I am I can definately try and help out as much as I can. Can't guarantee anything though, it is still fishing and not catching.

Is there any kind of night bite on Big Pine or does the lake shut down at dark??

Nope. There are definately some opportunites for catching some night roaming walleyes. I wouldn't even be afraid of doing some dock fishing. I've caught some of my best stringers of fish on Big Pine after dark.

Thanks BigRedWalleye - what you said is what most of the guys tell us, but I just wanted to post and see if we could get any new tips. We have a camper at BP Lodge that we've had out for 3 years now. We'll be out this weekend I'm sure - maybe we'll see you around.