Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
huskie0302

Fishing Trip

7 posts in this topic

Hey, my brothers and I are taking our 2nd annual fishing trip up to the big lake and we are kinda just going out finding spots to try out there. We are staying on birch point right out from big bay. We are just wondering what are some other close areas for walleyes?? Another question is we never fished northern or bass up there, what works best and some good areas to go scope out. Anything will be greatly appreciated.

Huskie0302,

Welcome to the Vermilion Forum!

Birch Point is a great central spot to work out of! There are great spots in both directions from you.

Fish the fast breaks into deep water during the day with lindys or jigs baited with minnows or leeches.

I have been finding walleyes on the 17' to 26' flats the past couple of days also.

Cliff

Cliff-

We have fished the edges of strawberry island out on the breaks, and northeast of of jackrabbit island, you think those should be some good spots to hit again? Aslo I know your a great walleye fisherman but do you know any good places to try to hook into some bass and northern?? Any suggestions to use to catch them also?? thanks for the info Cliff!!

WILL

Will,

There are walleyes in both of the spots you mentioned! grin.gif

Try Greenwood Bay, Stuntz Bay, and any other shallow weedy bay for pike. Spinnerbaits in white, black and chartuse usually work for me when I do try for pike. Also weedless spoons should work well.

The smallmouth will be relating to rocks and docks along the shoreline. Expreriment with different types of lures until you figure out which ones that they like best.

Cliff

We always catch a lot of pike and bass by accident around Bystrom Bay as well.

We were at Daisy Bay all last weekend and there were a lot of smallies off the dock.

Hey just curious whats all happening up on the east end? We are going to be leaving Wed. afternoon. Are they still deep? Or we better off starting shallow and working deeper?? Any other reports on bass or northern? Good luck fishing to all you guys this week, and thanks for all the advice that you provided to help a few rookies out!!!!

Walleyes are being caught at all depths depending upon time of day and type of presentation.

There is a good bass bite according to the people that I have been talking to. They have even been getting a few on top water plugs! shocked.gif

Cliff