Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Roughneck17SC

Wind from the East

6 posts in this topic

In the last 2 weeks the old saying, "The fish bite the least when the wind is from the East," should now state.... "The fish bite just fine when the wind is from the East." (It doesn't rhyme but it gets the point across)

I have been on a couple Hutch area lakes and we have found our best fishing has been when the wind is from the East/North East/South East at about 15-20mph. It isn't alot of fun managing the boat but the Walleyes seem to love it. We have had some of the best fishing that we have seen in around 5-7 years. Alot of smaller fish but enough sifting will find the 20" fish.

I recommend to gear up properly and fight the cold and wind and you will find the Walleyes. (Saturday night was a prime example, we went out with minimal gear and froze ourselves but caught fish.)

Anyone else finding the same phenomenom?

Yep. grin.gif I think this time of year that rule of thumb doesn't apply as much as it does when the summer starts to heat up. Even at that, with some small changes to location and bait the fish can be found, but it can be more challenging for sure.

I agree, this time of year it doesn't matter too much. And nor later either, it's just a matter of finding them and finding what they want.

So how deep is everyone finding their fish and over/along what type of structure?

I've found them in 9' - 11' along weeds over mud bottom.

I found some 5-7' in the emerging weeds and also 11-14' outside of the weeds with little to no structure. The same day I was catching some in the deeper water, another guy came out later after the wind picked up and got his limit in 3-4' on the same lake with a complete different method and I had run through that same spot earlier with nothing until I found them across the lake out deeper.

So to make a long story short, no pattern with this changing weather so far. Keep searching until you find some and then when the weather changes it's time to move again...and that can be just hours the way the weather has been this past week. Just in an afternoon it can go from blowing and cloudy out of one direction to clear and flat calm and then back to cloudy and blowing out of the complete other direction. No wonder the fish are confused where to go. Right now they're feeding pretty good and they really don't care about the weather as much, but if this happened later in the summer it could be lockjaw no matter where you try.

The walleyes seem to be in depth from 3 feet to 11 feet depending on the day. The presentation also seems to vary. We have had very good luck with a bobber and shiner and also drifting with a 5 ft harness with a leech. Time of day seems to be the most important thing. Most of the fish seem to be biting in 2-3 hour periods. The mystery as always is to figure out the pattern based on the wind direction. I hope there is an East wind all weekend. Appears that the weather will be about the same for memorial day weekend as opener and last weekend. Here is hoping the fish continue to bite!

BC- Have any luck on Sunday?