Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .

TimC

Here in Illinois we are preparing for the 17 year cicada invasion and since I will be in the BWCA in June, I was wondering if you guys get cicadas also and what effect will the invasion have on the fishing?

Surface Tension

Only cicadas I've seen around here are in my tackle box.

In June you might get into a Mayfly hatch though.

JAR JAR

I know over her in Northwestern Wi. we get a few but not like when I lived in Illinois. THey can get pretty annoying if you have outdoor activities.

Jar Jar

JustinG

I haven't seen any Giant Cicada Killers this far north ever. You don't need to worry about them up here. Atleast for now....

Justin

smallmouthguide

Hey Tim,

Were almost neighbors since I live in Elk Grove, IL. Here's a fast tip for ya. 17 years ago I used the snow shovel to clear the cicadas off the drive. This year I'm gunna try the snow blower.

MuskyBrian

I'm also in Elk Grove,IL as well..small world...no cicadas yet though here

smallmouthguide

Hi Brian,

My son just came over and said his friend in Lombard IL says they are comming out at his place. He stuck a rod down the whole and it was 36 inches deep.

His other pal said they were deep frying them and they taste like shrimp.

Scott M

Minnesota doesn't get periodical cicadas. We have annual or dog-day Cicadas. They won't have any effect on fishing, but in you might hear them buzzing in late July and August.

Good luck in the BWCA.

Jimfish

I'm in Villa Park Illinois, and i definitely like the idea of the snow blower. Right now they are just starting to all die off and rotting cicada odor is nasty.

Surface Tension

Thanks, that reminds me of the dreaded Tent Caterpillars.

chaffmj

I hate those tent caterpillars and that reminds me of a couple of years ago when the so called friendly flies invaded. They wouldn't bite but they were everywhere. People were driving around Big Lake in their boats with fly swatters in their hands. God that was awful. By the way do the caterpillars go thru some kind of a cycle? It has been a few years since I have seen them and weren't they the reason there were so many flies around or is my memory all screwed up.

MOBY RICHARD*

Was at a State Park a few years ago, and they told us not to kill the, friendly flies , ok so... we let them drive us half nuts until... I saw them roosting and feasting on Racoon feces... they're were also Butterflies on the droppings...Yuuukkkkk! crazy.gif Now I dont like any flies landing on me...

Surface Tension

Yes the Tent Caterpillars do go in cycles and the flies are around at the same time. I might be wrong but weren't the flies introduced to help control the TP?

chaffmj

I think you are right Frank. I know I read something about that on the DNR web site awhile back. I do remember they said the flies were so bad because they eat the catapillars and it was one of the worse years for the catapillars.