Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Leewindsor

Lures crane, sandpoint, and namakan lake

6 posts in this topic

I will be fishing with several other guys from June 16 thru the 23 on these lakes and would like to know what lures this time of year works best for walleye, smallmouth and pike. What water levels will these fish be at this time of year? Have fished with nelson's lodge several times but will be fishing with no guide this time. We will be renting a houseboat and two fishing boats and just wont to catch some walleyes for shore lunches but fish for smallmouth and pike most of the time. Thanks for any information and good luck to all you guys.

I've had luck with a gold husky jerk for pike and the fire-tiger husky jerk for bass. I like the gold whistler jig and minnow for walleye, or a plain hook, sinker and leach.

That time of year you will find most of your walleyes on the reefs between 20-40ft, depending on current weather conditions. I prefer to use, as mentioned prior, your plain hook with a 4ft leader and 3/8 oz sinker. My other two sure lures are the chartruse(sp?) spinner with a 3-4ft leader and the pink jig and white fuzzy grub body. I also do well with my Lac La Croix lure of choice, the unpainted lead head jig and a minnow. In Namakan your best bet will be to try Patsmith reef off of Patsmith Island on the East side of Big Bay. You may also still be able to pull a few out of Namakan narrows. Although I usually fish a couple holes on the Canadain side in the narrows. In Sandpoint, I'd go up into Grassy bay and hit the reefs. My brother got mad at me last time when I mentioned a couple holes of ours in Grassy because he lives there in the summer and doesn't want his spots to be taken. smile.gif They aren't too hard to find though. I've had great luck pulling in some 5lb+ eyes just speed trolling with floating raps attached to a 6 ft leader with a 3/4oz sinker right down the middle of grassy bay. Crane you can try the south point of Indian island and the East shoreline across from Indian Island. Find structure and troll and you'll have luck. Good luck and have fun!

Thanks for all the information, for you have been a big help do you think the smallmouth will be in the shollows at this time. We have done real well with rooster tails in the past, what else will work well for them as well as pike. We will not be keeping any fish just there to catch and release and have a good time.

Johnny Namakan...you're wealth of inforation is invaluable. Thank you for all the advise that you offer to us all.

I'll be heading to Lac La Croix (June 15th) and taking my parents to Zup's. I will post a report once we return.

What are these so called reefs that everyone is mentioning? Are they identifiable on a map?