Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PT73

Pedestal Posts Sticking

8 posts in this topic

Have the 1.77 pedestal mounts in the boat, they are all becoming more difficult to remove from the floor bases, any suggestions?. The plastic sleeve to post connection needs to be lubed with something, but what?.

Here's a little trick that I've used. Sometimes they just fit so tight that any amount of dust or dirt will cause them to stick. In this situation I'be taken a lid from a plastic ice cream pail and cut out a donut shape to just fit inside the bottom of the base. If you make the O.D. just a smidge oversize it will not come out on its own. This added spacer will prevent the pedestal from seating so far down into the socket but still far enough to engage the safety catch.

Bob

I sprayed a little of silicone lubricant on inside of floor mount. It doesn't attract dust as grease, and it doesn't smell and swell plastic as WD40/JB80.

I've used a little paraffin wax on the pedestal after cleaning the base and pedestal with water and drying. It usually lasts the whole season, if not two.

Quote:

Have the 1.77 pedestal mounts in the boat, they are all becoming more difficult to remove from the floor bases, any suggestions?. The plastic sleeve to post connection needs to be lubed with something, but what?.

I had this problem last year... The solution ended up being...

WB40 + Wait 10 mins + Pull with all your might while saying "By the Power of Grayskull! = Getting it free.

Then clean everything as best you can to get dust, rust, rub, and schmutz out of the way... Then use some silicone lube sprayed on the bottom of the posts...

Rinse and repeat every year as part of your usual "Getting the boat ready" checklist.

I heard someplace, maybe on FM, to be careful when using the silicone or WD40 so you don't get it on the locking tab. Someone went over backwards with the boat underway when the tab slipped out of where it should have stayed.

Another trick to removing them is to apply upword pressure and then give the pedestal a bump sideways. This usually breaks the seal for me.

Bob

Silicone lube is the best lubricant for applications where you have 2 very dis-similar materials, such as metal to plastic, and any hard surface to rubber or other bushing materials.