Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jbdragon17

Bass in Bear Lake Area

11 posts in this topic

Does anyone know of a good bass lake in the Bear Lake area (The Bear Lake up 65 north of Nashwauk)?

i dont know of a good bass lake, but they all should be great for bass this time of year. i share with you a great tactic to use during smallmouth spawning:

smallies spawn in about 3-4 feet of water on either sand or gravel shores ( ussually within some bull rushes). cruise along the shoreline very quietly ( canoes work best in this situation), and you can see smallies dartin all over the places, 2-4 pounders. then find the nest ussually made up of gravel and clam shells in a circle, with a depression in the middle, it should stand out if its not abandoned. if one is not gaurding it, then wait about 5-7 yards away from it, a smallie should come back to protect its nest sooner or later, at this time, throw a wieghtless nightcrawler into the nest. the smallie should suck in up to carry it away, it will not eat it, just carry it away, then set the hook!

do this sometime around late may-june. thats when its worked the best for me!

Hoped that helped,

Dave wink.gif

Who uses live bait for fishing bedded bass..........

What's the difference throwing a tube or a crawler in beds?

crawler tastes better and moves and is more appealing to a bass, i dont think it would hurt to try, just wiggle it a bit.

And don't forget, when filleting that smallie, I like to save the egg sack for batter frying, a delicasy I learned from the Arkansas bass fisherman that drive up to Canada to slaughter the smallies every year... tongue.gif

Thanks for the tip KNB. I use that the next time I'm ripping 5lb smallies off beds with a live crawler. What's a good egg sac recipe?

u guys should be practicing catch and release if your pickin em off the beds, that way they will have a chance to raise there young for future years.

Your basic beer batter and deep fry it.

I'm being facetious Dave...

Although I have seen the Arkansas egg sac batter fry before. Those boys would eat every smallie they caught and at the time you would get multiple 5+ and I saw them fillet a couple 7lbers. It was SICK.

I remember running into them one time a couple years later and they were complaining how the bass fishing wasn't as good as it used to be. What a bunch of DAs.

Quote:

u guys should be practicing catch and release if your pickin em off the beds, that way they will have a chance to raise there young for future years.

I was being sarcastic as well, I am an avid bass angler and always release em.