Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cesmith

Marked Walleye's

7 posts in this topic

This weekend I was on The Whitefish Chain and one of the walleye's I caught had two lines marked on the under side of the head. One line was green and one was orange like the fish were marked for some reason.

I took a close up picture of it if anybody wants to see it.

Any idea what and who marked this fish.

Charles

the dnr marked them 2 years ago when they were milking them at the striping station. Then there was a creel survey following that for a population estimate

Where on the Whitefish Chain are you fishing? I just started fishing up there and I can't find a walleye for nothing. I'm just looking for some areas to start. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Part of the study was also to see where the fish move to after the spawn. I would e mail Tim Brastrup at the Brainerd DNR with the specifics of where you caught them. It may help in their study.

I forget his exact e mail but it could be found on the dnr website I'm sure.

The studies participants were somewhat limited to people that the DNR asked to help out a couple years ago. They wanted the guides and a few local fisherman that fish whitefish a lot to specifically look for the mark and record where the fish was caught. But, that doesn't mean they wouldn't take info from anyone I'm sure. It's just that marks were not that noticeable to most anglers and there was a certain color combination of the stripes that the study was focused on.

ccarlson

I was down at the stripping station this spring and saw them marking fish. Each year they inject a different color. It's their way of judging how many fish return to spawn, and how many times. The DNR guys said the only time they want to know about the marked fish is when they make it back to the stripping station.

Thanks for all the information, the marked walleye was caught outside of Trout lake, so based on if the fish was marked during stripping those fish are traveling farther then I thought.

Thanks

They have found fish in little pine with marks.