• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

weekend report

tonkapat

Caught about 30 between 3 of us, hooked and missed a bunch more. Mostly rigging with leeches. Wind and cold took a toll. Still should have put in more time searching. One of the slowest weekends i have on the pond in years. Hope others did better. Did get a bonus 27". Malmo area

If you call 30 a slow weekend, man I should be crying.

Yeah, it's amazing what that lake does to a guy's expectations. I was up by myself Saturday, didn't get there til pretty late -- started fishing about 9 am, stopped at 4 pm. I caught 6 fish, sizes: 26, 23, 18, 17, 16, 16 inches...the only problem was I kept thinking all day "well, the action is sorta slow"...

I can't think of any other lake where I could catch those 6 walleyes in those 'bankers hours' and think of it as a "slow" day. In fact, a week before on opener I got skunked fishing a brand new lake with my mom and uncle. So, I think you have to put it into perspective by comparing to other lakes.

I didn't see anyone really hammering them like I heard about the previous weekend. Lots of boats, not a lot of fish. Wind was getting terrible Sat late afternoon / evening, so I skipped the evening bite.

30 is fantastic! we got on the water at about 10.30am yesterday. tried the northend sand and there wasnt much happening so we headed to the flats. just after the wind switched to the north my buddy got 2 over 18" on the same drift on shultz's flat, blue jug wasnt happening for us so we just started heading north. when the wind switched to the northeast we fished from fishers to agate bay reef to flamingo reef, heard lots of stories but didnt see that many fish being netted. my fishing buddy picked up another one over 18" and missed another bite. we were drifting kind of close to another boat with 3 guys in it and were starting to move our boat when they said not to worry...they had their limit and were just packing up to go. i saw the last one they caught and thats what i believe, but my fishing buddy gave me another paradyme...maybe they had their limit of the weather? i tend to take people at face value until they show me otherwise. anyway, i fished pretty darn hard from beginning until we got off the water at about 6:00. the temp read 81 on the thermometer in my truck witch is pretty accurate when we put in. i chose not to bring my carharts...dahhhh me. after, when we loaded the boat, the truck thermometer read 47. couple that with some 3 foot waves and it was an adventure trying to stay warm with summer clothes and raingear. there was a time about 11.00 when we commented to each other how hot it was getting. the wind died to almost nothing after coming from the south for a day & a half. thats the adventure, change and excitement mille lacs offers. it took most of the trip home with the heater blasting in the truck to regain some body heat. how clumbsy for a minnesotan not to have known better. it was still fun, extremely fun! i cant wait to get up there again. the most embarrassing thing to write is that i didnt even get a bite...

regards,

minnesotatuff

We had a pretty decent weekend (well Saturday) We got on the water at 7:30 and to our spot by 7:45. My brother boated his first eye at 7:50. I was still rigging when i head his drag zinging. It was a 26 incher. We fished out of Garrison till about 12 and managed to net 5 more fish. 25,24,22,20 1/2 and an 18. We did end up losing a BIG one that came off 2 feet below the surface and about 6 feet out from the boat. Bummer! We headed to Myr Mar and landed two more fish up there before the wind picked up. From about 2:30-4:30 it was hard for me anyways to keep control in the waves. I have an 18 ft Crestliner and I wouldn't have wanted to be in anything smaller than that on Saturday. Thank god for the full windshield. I had some waves rinsing my windshield for me. Between four of us we ended up keeping 6, and released 12. The biggest one of the day that we landed went 27.5". Overall I thought it was a pretty decent day.

On a side note, for those of you who own drift socks, after seeing guys slowing their drift down greatly, I am looking at getting one. I know many people have multiple socks for different situations, but any suggestions as to what size would have been needed for Saturday's 15 mph north winds to control an 18 foot boat.

CA

In that kind of wind you need 2 socks as big as you can get. Pretty wild on south end of lake Sat. Sitting in boat with waves coming at you with tops at eye level. I have 2 of the largest Cabelas socks. 1 sock usually covers most situations.

eyewarrior

How do you position your single sock? What wind speed do you find it necessary? Thanks for any insights!

KT

my grilfriend and i did well out of appledorns sat. and sun. we had our limit sat. before the wind picked up. and sun. was fun. we limited in a couple hours then fished for fun. in all probally 45-50 fish. they were caught in 22-27 fow with spinners and 1/2 crawlers good times, little cool but all in fun.

DRift socks in times are the way to go. to either drift you slow or troll with it. sat. before the wind i was backtrolling with it to pull 1 oz with a spinner that seemed to be the ticket and sun. i didnt use it i put on 2 oz and drifted with spinners. so it all depends on how you want to present the bait.

When drifting I place a single sock as close as possible to middle of boat. Experiment until you find a sock location that allows the boat to be parallel to the waves. As far as wind speed goes it all depends on presentation. Straight bottom rig, bottom bouncer w/spinners etc all need to be run at different speeds to be most productive.

Turning your motor can also play a role in how the boat travels with the sock. "rudder Theory"

Three of us went out of Vic's Red Door Saturday morning early and should have stayed in bed. (My idea to get there early and beat the rush) Only 2 fish by noon. We worked the sand and then tried some close flats. Moved back to the sand. Once the wind picked up it was another story. Ended up with 10 in the box and released (2) 21.5", 23.5", (2) 25.5", 27" and a 27.5. All right in front of Vic's in 15 to 25 feet of water. All on lindy rigs w/leeches.