Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Matt C

Monday fishing?

10 posts in this topic

Im headed out to either Marion or Orchard tomorrow am. Bout 9am. Havnt fished those lakes in 12 years. Anyone else heading out that way?

Fished Marion this morning. Boy that lake has gone to crap in the 12 years I havnt fished it with weeds. Did OK, caught a few 16" eyes, lindy rigging with a leech and a few little bass came to play also. C&Red all fish today.

PS...whats with the Gander in L'ville. Minnows I got from there all died within hours, and payed way too much $$ for them. I guess I should have stuck with the good old local bait shop in Faribault where I can pay 1.50 bucks less for a scoop and they live for days on end.

Heading out to my local lakes tonight with my left over leeches. smile.gif

I have never been able to keep minnows from big name businesses...gander mountain, holiday, super america, etc. Stick with the local baitstores...I've been able to keep minnows of all types for months from those places.

if you dont put the minnows in the lake water for about 4-5 hours then they will last longer. see what happens is that the baitshops make there water really cold to keep them alive longer and if you put them in the lake right away it will shock them and kill them because the lake water is a lot warmer

Quote:

if you dont put the minnows in the lake water for about 4-5 hours then they will last longer

If you don't put new water in they will die well before 4-5 hours rolls around. What water are you supposed to put in with the minnows if lake water will kill them? I've never had that problem from Gander in lakeville personally.

Peronally I think any minnow from anywhere will die. Cold cold water and an aerator is your best friend. Keeping them in the fridge will keep the water cold.

I always put ice from the cooler in the bucket...but I also change the water at least once during the day, I always do it while I'm out in the middle of the lake where the water is coolest.

Bought one of those small coolers (Frabil) with an aerator on it & it works great! I add some ice as the water warms.

Quote:

If you don't put new water in they will die well before 4-5 hours rolls around. What water are you supposed to put in with the minnows if lake water will kill them?

Don't you guys have home aquariums?? Do the same thing you do when you buy fish at the pet store. Have them bag your minnows. When you get to the lake, you need to place the bag either in your live well (which has water in it) or a bucket (half full) and let the temperature in the bag slowly equalize with the lake water. I give it at least 5 minutes. That way the minnows don't go into shock and die. Same principal with store bought aquarium fish.... grin.gif

Sounds like a good tip. I will have to try that next time I have to buy from a big box store. I normally from my local shop, have him put em my bucket, put em in the boat, and off I go with no issues. Maybe hes got a remote sensor whoha that keeps his tank the same as the lakes I fish tongue.gif hehe.