• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

july 1 houseboat trip

Where would be a good place to park the houseboat the first week of July to be close to the eyes and the northerns. Would Saginaw be a good place?? Also, can you put a minnow trap off the back of the houseboat or is that illegal. Thanks for any info. Good luck fishing everyone.

It illegal for anybody to trap minnows from Rainy Lake becasue it has been designated as infested.

There are other folks on here who can give better advice on the houseboat question.

non residents can't trap minnows on the north side either by the way I read the rules.

or leaches either.

Bitz

best place, in my frequent trips up, are near or On Blueberry Island, on the West Side. Or look Northeast of Blueberry, a big sand beach...both are ideal spots.."Blueberry is located on the other side of Kempton Channel, and some of the best Walleye fishing on the lake,,might have a hard time catching in the slot though, alot of 18-24 inch walleyes. Also, fairly close ride to Kettle Falls, a must see on your trip up to Rainy.

WEll put BoLY!! Very nice area!! If you make it to kettle falls hotel you have to try a PINK THING!!!!

Thanks for the replies guys. When your talking about Blueberry Island, are you talking northeast by the 3 humps? Also any northerns around there?? Thanks again for the replies.

Agreed. Blueberry Island area is a great place to park the houseboat for awhile. And yes those three reefs are probably the ones boly was refering to. They get fantastic in July and also into August, but they can get crowded too. It's also nice to be close to saginaw and the east end of the brule narrows. There is some fantastic fishing there as well.

And yes there is plenty of northerns around the area. Kempton channel is one of the better places to fish northerns and they can get big too. Also look to the brule narrows for big pike. You can also find some big northerns by trolling super shads made by rapala around the reefs and over water where you are graphing baitfish.

Take Care and Good Luck Fishing!

Thanks for the reply tearin lips. It sounds like Blueberry is a place to go. I appreciate everyone posting.

I need to make a correction - it is illegal for anybody to trap minnows in Rainy Lake because it has been designated as "infested water" after the spiny waterfleas were found.

Thanks for clarifying that ufdapete. Is that rule even if you are using the bait only on Rainy??

Quote:

Thanks for clarifying that ufdapete. Is that rule even if you are using the bait only on Rainy??

That's correct.

• 3 weeks later...

How do peole keep their minnows alive on a houseboat for a week?? Leeches is n ot a problem, but minnows are not easy unless their is a trick to it. Thanks again. PS can't wait to get up there. Hopefully we can hit the eyes and northerns.

Use a Baittamer (Mesh bag) with a rock in it, and sink it into some cooler water. Your minnows will be in great shape.

RD (Apparently I should sell these darn things! Ha!)

Thanks alot Rainydaze. I am going to try that. What minows would you suggest for the eyes at the beginning of July. We normally use leeches, but...

Hi Wellman,

In all honesty I buy fatheads for all my guidetrips unless ther request Rainbows or shiners. The only thing with getting fatheads that I don't particulary like is that it seems only half are good sized fatheads while the others are a bit small.

Thanks again guys. Is it best to get a 5 gallon bait tamer or 10 gallon. How many fat heads will it keep alive without crowding to much?? Thanks again.

A 5 gallon or a 10 gallon, just depends on how many minnows you plan on bringing with. You can probably go 10 dozen in a 5 gallon bait tamer without too much crowding, and about double that in a 10 gallon tamer. Remember that depends on how much time it will be spent in circulating cooler water as well.

If it were me I would keep the bait tamer at the bottom almost all of the time(be careful of the otters though). Only transfer bait that you will be needing for however long you are fishing to another bait bucket to carry with you in the boat. This will put less stress on the minnows and you will be able to have fresh minnows for a longer period of time. The reason being is that minnows can acclimated to conditions, but when those conditions keep varying...ex) cool to warm and back to cool water again they will stress and die. If you only take what you and immediately sink the bag again, your minnows will keep for a long time...even shiners!!

But that's just me...

Thanks alot TearinLips. Sounds like the 5 gallon and 10 dozen fatheads.

Are the eyes on the reefs yet? What about the northerns, are they still in the shallows?? Coming up to go on houseboat Sunday. Plan on stopping at the one stop for some bait.

Wellman,

'Eyes can be found in good numbers on the numerous reefs throughout the lake. 22-30' is where I have found most of my fish. Just about anything has been working well lately as long as you are on fish. I have fished with a jig or a lindy rig, mostly because of the amount of people that I have been fishing with.

I haven't fished too much for northerns in american water, but I can imagine that there will be a few off the drop offs adjacent to shallow bays, and there should also be a few around the rock piles and reefs chasing baitfish.

Take Care!

Thanks tearin'lips. Are you going to be at the one stop Sunday july 1 in the am. We will be stopping there to get our minnows and leeches.

Unfortunately I will not be. Feel free to email the store or call me at the store with any questions. I work 6 am till 2 pm through friday.

On a totally differnet subject, what are the mosquitoes like this year and what have you found to work the best?? We will be stopping at the one stop Sunday am to get bait. Could you email me with suggestions @ [email protected]. THanks Also, could I get your email address Bill or just send it to the Rainy LAke 1stop??

Wellman, just send it to rainy lake onestop and address it to the effect of "For Bill at Rainy Lake One Stop."

The mosquitoes are pretty bad, especially in the calmer areas where there is no breeze. I like the repel 40% deet stuff, but we also carry repel 100, which is 100% deet to keep those pesky critters away. We also have a clothing spray now that works well too. Camp fogger only works so well for so long...and it only works on the mosquitoes in the area. After awhile it wears off and more mosquitoes come into the area. My best advice is to try to get a site that has breeze 24-7.