Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mojoputter

Fishing Mille Lacs/small boat

8 posts in this topic

Where's a good spot I can bring my 10 yr. old for some walleyes, currently I have a 16' Alumacraft so going out to most of the fishing spots can be a little hairy. I'm thinking there has to be a few spots that are not to far from shore that if things get a little too windy I can get to some calmer water quickly. I've been on that lake when things can get crazy real quick and I don't want to get too far out with my boy in the boat.

Eddy's would be a good spot I would think. Some rocks close and 7 mile wouldn't be bad on a calm day. If it got windy you can get behind the point and back to the bay. Also Malmo looks to be quite close to the northend sand. I haven't put in there but may try tommorrow.

All depends on the wind, just drive around the lake till it looks calm, find the boats... Where theres boats, theres fish smile.gif Good luck and take pictures, the bite is ON all over the pond!!!!

With a 16 ft boat you can get out quite often. Just pay close attention to the wind. I use to have a Lund 16ft Rebel, and could get out alot. It may take a little longer in the wind. You can fish the mud in your boat.

I have found that the boat can ussually handle more than the people in it but PLEASE be carefull and know your weather report. Look at this last saturday. 75 deg. with a light SW wind at 10:00 am. 45 deg with 25 mph plus NE winds at 4:00 pm. And the last thing you want to do is scare the living s--t out of a 10 year old and ruin him for life.

Yeah Saturday was crazy. We were in a 16ft Lund Rebel too, and it was fine in the morning. But once the wind switched, we got rocked. We were able to fish until 3:30 or so, but it would have been pretty scary to someone young or unexperienced. But if you watch the weather, you can do it.

You will be fine as long as your careful about your surrondings. I was on the north end yesterday, winds were gusting up to about 25 mph out of se. And there was a guy out on the first break with a johnboat rigged with a 25hp Honda. Not my idea of a Mille Lacs worth rig, but to his credit he seemed to be paying attention to the waves, as well as the other boats, and he stayed afloat.

Ive had my 16' alumacraft out on the lakes alot with moderate waves no problem. Just make sure you know where you are and where to go if things start building. The wave wackers come in handy even when drifting and going forward. Also a drift sock.